Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! just got this sweet little piece of gear in a trade for a little boss drum machine and a presonus audiobox.

I played this amp for a solid 15 minutes before trading and it is the sickest little amp i have played. i loved my orange tiny terror and this thing pretty much shits on it. its no mini rectifier for obvious reasons but for the price you can get one of these things for i think this is one of the best amps you can get if its the sort of thing you want. :metal:

I got this amp mainly because i needed something smaller than my jsx to just mess around with in my recording room. and not wake the neighbors :lol:
I also was looking for something with a different tone from the jsx, and this fitst he bill perfectly, it sounds just as great at low volumes as it does when its fully blasted. it also has awesome tone, a great high gain ultra channel that has a way warmer tone than the jsx. and the cleans are much better as well. :yesway:

my only complaint: for a 6 watt amp this thing is pretty freaking big, as you can see it when compared to the jsx.

on to some shatty cell phone pics of the thing.

thanks for watching :D

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
:cool::metal:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I tried a Special 6 once, and didn't like it. It was colder than my EpiVJr. Is the Special 6 "Ultra" something different?

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried a Special 6 once, and didn't like it. It was colder than my EpiVJr. Is the Special 6 "Ultra" something different?
im not quite sure on the difference here, i think the ultra is supposed to be more fit for the high gain stuff but i think the clean channel on this one will get more use :lol:

the "ultra" channel actually has some very solid distortion but it is suuuuper warm and combined with the very dark sound of my bs-7 it sounds pretty muddy. but my fernandes and my c-1 sound great with the distortion because it sort of kills the super bright sound that they have through my jsx. and the clean channel on the ultra is way better than the jsx clean :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I think that's why I hated it… It was *too* clean :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it was just what i was looking for because my jsx has the really sterile sounding distortion and has equally as dry cleans. the vht is just the opposite with warm cleans, warm dark distortion, and it has a very good bluesy rock tone if thats your cup of tea. :)

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what was your main complain about the special? It must be quite different as this amp is quite awesome for how cheap it is :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
The crunch you get from it just wasn't as sweet as from the EpiVJ. It was a bit colder. I mean, certainly try it :)lol:)… maybe mine had a bad/weird tube or something!

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
weird, the ultra definitely has a unique crunch, different from most other amps i have tried but definitely not in a negative way.

If i were to upgrade the tubes in this thing eventually what would be some good tubes?

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
these are the non fryette vhts right?
Yep, this is a newer model so after the VHT name got sold off.

damn guys, this thing sounded awesome before the boost. but i finally pulled the boost and damn this thing can sing. i am starting to think i am preferring this to my jsx for nearly everything :lol: and this is a 350 dollar head :rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yep, right now i have to switch the cable back and forth between this and the jsx if i want to switch heads. i am keeping my eye out for a nice little 2x12 though. im thinking avatar mainly.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Do you use the jsx crunch or lead channel? The crunch channel with fat switch off and the gain turned down is where it's at.

Enjoy the ngd!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts