Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scratches an itch my JCA & DSL can't, and gets me by in the short-term rental for the rest of this month.

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Katana Air

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Neural DSP Quad Cortex

[I figured out what it was shortly after posting but decided not to edit my post :lol:]

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:lol:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought I read something here about a Boss Katana Mini earlier.
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Yeah - got a Blackstar Amplug2 for Christmas and it totally, absolutely, 100% sucked - messed with it for over 30 minutes and couldn't get a tone that didn't make me cringe and want to stop playing. So, it got returned. Kinda confused as it has a boatload of 5 star reviews on a lot of sites - but it sounds worse than my old 1994-ish era Zoom did.

So after digging around I almost got an iRig, til I saw all the "in app purchases" available in AmpliTube (the app that iRig runs on) that would have burned a hole in my wallet. Then I came across a review comparing all these little sub-$100 amps and the Katana Mini was the only one that sounded decent.

Went to Capitol Guitars yesterday, a local guitar shop in St. Paul, and plugged into it with the Jackson Pro Series H7 (that I'm now GASing for...) and immediately got a tone I liked.

It certainly wouldn't compete with my DSL1 or JCA22h, but for something I can easily drag around the house, and as a headphone amp, it's really pretty cool. I've paid this much for multiple practice amps over the last 30 years and none came close in this price range (I'm looking at you Crate & Marshall MG line...).

·
Guitarded
Rig: Marshall DSL20
429 Posts
kinda cool that it has 3 gain voicings and delay instead of reverb. most bare bones practice amps that have some kind of effect usually have reverb. happy NAD!

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kinda cool that it has 3 gain voicings and delay instead of reverb. most bare bones practice amps that have some kind of effect usually have reverb. happy NAD!
Thanks - if you dime the level on the delay and leave the time at zip it acts like a reverb, too. Took it into the living room yesterday and played through it for an hour or so while watching the Packers destroy the Bears. Had a lot fo fun with it. Would never think it holds a candle to a real amp, but for couch noodling it's pretty fun. Dialed in a cool blues tone and ended up playing some slide riffs for awhile, too.

Definitely worth every penny of $99. :yesway:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts