Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I actually picked this up about a week ago, but after playing guitar for 13 years, I finally own my first tube amp :D

I traded my old POD X3 (the HD500 is so good I hadn't turned the X3 on since I got it) for a Peavey Windsor head:

I don't have a cab yet (plan on scoring a used Marshall for cheap) but brought it over to Budda's to jam on Thursday and plugged it into half of his stereo Peavey cab (he can fill you in on the details, can't remember what speakers he has in it) and it sounds sweet. The guy I did the trade with also threw in an MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive, which works quite nicely with this amp.

The tone is very obviously Marshall-like (essentially, this head's supposed to be a cheap JCM800 knockoff, I believe), and the power mode knob (the proper name of which I can't remember right now) that let's you blend anywhere from full 100-watt Class A/B down to 50-watt Class A is a lot of fun. Both ends of the spectrum sound great, but completely different.

I did most of my playing with the HD500 4-cabled into the head, and it sounded great both as effects-only, and using the pre-amp modelling into the head's power section. Can't decide if I prefer the AC30 or Bassman sim for my cleans (will likely use both for different purposes), and the Mesa sim sounded great too. Mostly I played with the amp's own tone, though.

Also, a Telecaster through a POD HD500 into a Marshall clone will djent with the right models/effects, especially when pitch shifted down to a low-F# :rofl: (incidentally, the pitch shift on the HD500 is surprisingly good, and oddly enough even better when put after the overdrive)

Also, also, neither of us could figure out why it is so ridiculously massive (seriously much bigger than the Roadster) :lol:

Video of jamming is currently uploading.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now with video!

Most of the video is the head straight up, sometimes with a boost from the POD (I think the Tube Driver), sometimes with the MXR, sometimes both (mostly when going for a little more juice on leads), cleans are the AC30 model into the head's power section, with cab sim on at first and then cab sim off (at the end, you'll hear the difference).

(all made up on the spot, so excuse the many bum notes :lol: )

Sorry for both of us having our backs to the camera the whole time :lol:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
:metal: My rhythm guitarist in my last band had one. A very great bang for your buck! Only one channel, but they get a very nice tone. I was playing a Valveking at the time and I preferred the Windsor over it. :yesway: One of the Peavey reps told a guy from a local guitar shop (when they first came out at NAMM) that the insides of it are basically a JCM.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:metal: My rhythm guitarist in my last band had one. A very great bang for your buck! Only one channel, but they get a very nice tone. I was playing a Valveking at the time and I preferred the Windsor over it. :yesway: One of the Peavey reps told a guy from a local guitar shop (when they first came out at NAMM) that the insides of it are basically a JCM.
Yep, and some googling tells me they're pretty damn reliable. I think I only found one person who'd had an issue with theirs, and it was easy to fix, since, as you said, they're basically a JCM inside.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Yep, and some googling tells me they're pretty damn reliable. I think I only found one person who'd had an issue with theirs, and it was easy to fix, since, as you said, they're basically a JCM inside.
:agreed: Its a JCM inside and its a Peavey. If there is one good thing about a Peavey, its that they are reliable.

I eye these on used.guitarcenter.com all the time, they go for like $250... if only I wasn't broke. :( I need a 2nd cab first anyways. :lol:

*edit* The Windsor cabs are actually not bad either, and they go for Really cheap... I see one for $135 on GC.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, but shipping a cab over the border vs. picking one up in town for $400 seems to balance out :lol:

There's a 1960a on kijiji in town right now that's painted bright green. It's silly how much I want it :lol: But don't have the cash yet.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
hell yeah, looks and sounds great! always wanted to play one of these. awesome for the money! :yesway:

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
How does it do for higher gain hard rock/metal tones? I would guess it would need a boost up front.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Jason said:
How does it do for higher gain hard rock/metal tones? I would guess it would need a boost up front.
Yeah, with a boost and a moderate to hot humbucker it could definitely get there. Telecaster almost did, but I wasn't really trying for it. And it definitely will when using the POD as the preamp.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Did we really jam that for 10 minutes? I realize we went from punk influenced to clean but wow :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
...Also, also, neither of us could figure out why it is so ridiculously massive (seriously much bigger than the Roadster) :lol:
Because it's a Peavey, and everything Peavey makes (excluding instruments) is unnecessarily large and heavy.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
now all you have to do is get it FJA modded and then you have-a spicy-a meatuh-balluh!

4,429 Posts
I have one and I love that thing so much. I'm taking it to school with me so I can occasionially use it for recording instead of the mark V. (sometimes I'd rather have a simpler amp for people other than myself)

But yeah huge range of vintage to fairly modern tones capable with the right cab and right boost. I'm talking serious versatility. Pretty lousy cleans though :lol:

Tweaking the A-A/B, resonance, and presence is really essential to getting yourself all over the map.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

^ Exactly wha I found in the few hours I've played with it so far, and with the POD, it gets great cleans, and more modern/metal tones for when I want those, and I can't tell a difference in feel or tonal quality between the preamp of the head or the POD.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts