Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's up everyone, I haven't posted here in a couple years (because of some life tragedy bulls***).
Anyhow, I just got the DSL40CR from Sweetwater today. After I opened the box (before trying the amp) I took off the back and checked the tube bias - they're at 34, pretty much where everyone (and Marshall) said it should be. :agreed:

I noodled for about 20 minutes with the stock Celestion V-Type, then put in a Celestion V30 (Hellatone 60) and noodled for about 20 more minutes....then I put in the speaker that came with my 5150 III 1x12 Combo, a Celestion G12EVH-50....which is what I'm keeping in there. BOTH the V30 & the EVH sound way better than the V-Type to me....they're less mushy/fuzzy in my opinion (the V-Type is good, but not what I want).

The V30 sounds great, but the EVH has kind of a Tony Iommi early Sabbath character to it that I dig (both sound great though).
:metal:

Here's some of my adventure:

I keep a Celestion Classic Lead 80 in my 5150 III 1x12 Combo: :cool:

=================================================

I tried recording videos with my iPhone 7 Plus, but you really can't hear the differences of the speakers (trust me they ALL sound different!).
I'm a sucky guitarist, but I wanted to test the CHUG & TIGHTNESS FEEL of the notes on OD2 channel at 40w. Bass, Mid, Treb, & Presence were ALL set at 6... Resonance 5.... Master Volume 10.... Gain 5... Volume 1.
Used my Epiphone Les Paul (walnut body & neck) with a SD Whole Lotta Humbucker bridge pickup.

=================================================

Marshall DSL40CR Stock Speaker TEST

================================================== =======

Marshall DSL40CR Celestion V30 Speaker TEST

================================================== =======

Marshall DSL40CR Celestion G12EVH-50 Speaker TEST

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
BTW, the V-Type is an improvement over the old shitty speaker they put in the last generation (pre-2018), but it's still not as good as the V30 and other speakers, as you found. The combo is cool, but I wish they'd also do a 40w smallbox head. They'd sell a shit-ton.

As it is, the 20 watters are doing really, really well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts