Metalguitarist.org banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Actually, it sounds pretty forward compatible. Considering it's a hardware that will last well into the next couple decades like most of their other gear, to make a specific software package and have to constantly update it and support it for 20 years is pretty cost prohibitive.
It doesn't need the large hadron collider built into it man, just some way to audition the IRs. :lol: If my ~10+ year old GSP1101 can do it for a couple hundred bucks and still work fine I have to think that Mesa can somehow find a way in a $2000 amp.

Making things primitive to be "forward compatible" isn't something we want to encourage. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Diezel VHX added to my radar. :thumbsup:
If you're looking eCred and not actually good tone, then sure. :lol:

The Solo control is a bit more than that, but while I don't use my Solo control at all :lol:, I think they could have included it. Though, I actually like how stripped down it is.
How's the solo control more than a clean boost at the very end of the chain?

·
Super Moderator
23,420 Posts
I guess it's more by being less? :lol:

It's an internal bypass from the Output knob to the Solo knob, so there's no patch cables, no extra circuits, buffers, connectors, etc. I know you know that, but schematically it's simpler, so folks who want "less" stuff between them and the amp can have that.

I say that, but then I never really used it :lol:. I always used a GEQ in my FX loop for lead boosting.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

It's an internal bypass from the Output knob to the Solo knob, so there's no patch cables, no extra circuits, buffers, connectors, etc. I know you know that, but schematically it's simpler, so folks who want "less" stuff between them and the amp can have that.

I say that, but then I never really used it :lol:. I always used a GEQ in my FX loop for lead boosting.
Right but that's only if you're trying to be 100% pure, I guess. As soon as you factor in a board, a buffered boost like Mesa's own Highwire, the Wampler, Fulltone, etc is actually a bit more ideal because of the buffer helping drive 30-40 feet of cable length.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Don't you have a Roadking? That thing is the epitome of more is more :rofl:

Right but that's only if you're trying to be 100% pure, I guess. As soon as you factor in a board, a buffered boost like Mesa's own Highwire, the Wampler, Fulltone, etc is actually a bit more ideal because of the buffer helping drive 30-40 feet of cable length.
Maybe it's my ears but I never noticed a difference with cable length. I have always kept cables under 18' each though, so maybe that helps. The only longer cord I have is a 21' Monster cable I've had for 20 years.

With my old setup, I used to run a snake with 3 15' cables from my amp to the pedalboard and back. Now I have my effects unit on top of the amp and use little 2' and 3' cables, and I'm not hearing a noticeable difference. Maybe it's me, but I can't tell much from those.

Also, isn't the FX loop buffered? So help me understand the need for another buffer in the loop.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I keep my cable lengths short by sticking all of my gear in a converted closet, the truly Rock & Roll way.

My snake that I use to connect all that crap to my interface is 50 feet long and I don't notice any difference in signal quality. (Digital and analog.)

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
My snake that I use to connect all that crap to my interface is 50 feet long... (Digital and analog.)
You know you have a King's Ransom in guitar gear when you have a snake for it. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Maybe it's my ears but I never noticed a difference with cable length. I have always kept cables under 18' each though, so maybe that helps. The only longer cord I have is a 21' Monster cable I've had for 20 years.

With my old setup, I used to run a snake with 3 15' cables from my amp to the pedalboard and back. Now I have my effects unit on top of the amp and use little 2' and 3' cables, and I'm not hearing a noticeable difference. Maybe it's me, but I can't tell much from those.

Also, isn't the FX loop buffered? So help me understand the need for another buffer in the loop.
Yes, Mesa loops are always buffered, and that does help to an extent; they're quite good at reducing signal loss. But even with my board being two fifteen footers and then whatever cable length onboard, activating the buffer on the Wampler has a slight but noticeable difference in bringing back high end.

·
Super Moderator
23,420 Posts
Had. Sold it.

The Recto models in the 2XL are so good I just never played the thing anymore.

I'm down to 3 heads (Stiletto, Nomad 100, and Engl Thunder) and 2 rack combos (Engl 530 and Mesa Studio pre's, and 2:90 and RT2/50 power amps) that don't get played :lol:. Once I move to a bigger space I'll be able to probably have those things setup so I can just plug-in and go... that's really what's keeping me from playing them... lack of convenience :lol:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,247 Posts
If you're looking eCred and not actually good tone, then sure. :lol:
Have you ever actually spent more than 10 minutes playing any Diezel or just talking out of your arse because it's cool to hate on Diezel? :lol: It's basically all of their big amps in one box, with a butt load of Universal Audio plugins built in.

Don't get me wrong, I'd never pay Diezel prices in the US, but when you consider I think ALL of their amps, are about the same price as a new Triple Rec or Mark V over here, and considerably cheaper than the likes of a Roadking or JP-2C, I can't help but feel a lot of the dislike of the brand has a heavy price bias on it.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Have you ever actually spent more than 10 minutes playing any Diezel or just talking out of your arse because it's cool to hate on Diezel? :lol:
Most people pre-emptively judge Diezel based on the fact they unfortunately have the same name as a brand of pre-distressed rhinestone studded bro jeans worn by nu-metallers, albeit a different spelling. It's like you started an amp brand called Affliction.

Ironically, the nu-metallers wearing Diesel pre-distressed jeans all play Rectifiers. The amp of nu-metal.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Played a guys Herbert a long time ago, it was a great amp for sure, but he had it so loud in this jam space where they where going to play I thought it was going to tear the space-time barrier.

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
My sole experience is jamming on my friend's Einstein. I liked it a lot, one of the few amps i think sound just as good without a boost. I legitimately have no idea what the VH4 sounds like.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts