Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first saw this listed for 1175 on craigslist, then Dave (thanks dave :wub: ) found me a later posting for a thousand bucks. I managed to talk him down to 950. He also got it serviced, it has relatively new tubes, and he threw in two extra mesa power tubes.

Thanks for tolerating all my stupid questions about tube amps :D

Many more to come of course :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I've seen 'em... just never heard em. :devil:

1x15 open back cabs are my favorite blues/clean sound. Not flubby, but a little loose and extra chimey/resonant. I assume that ported cab is just tuned to be chest-thudding ridonkulous, though. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Vader Cabinets Inc.

I cant link the page with the actual 2x15 on it, but it's there under guitar cabs :D

And kev has one he won't sell :nono:
He's doing you a favor. The LAST thing a Mesa needs is more bass :lol:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've seen 'em... just never heard em. :devil:

1x15 open back cabs are my favorite blues/clean sound. Not flubby, but a little loose and extra chimey/resonant. I assume that ported cab is just tuned to be chest-thudding ridonkulous, though. :lol:
All I know is how much I want a Vader :lol:

I'll probably end up buying a 2x12 vader cab seeing as the bearded bear won't sell me his 215.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
It'll be more reasonable. It also won't weigh a metric fuckton (just a normal fucktonne).

Vaders are cool man, just make sure you keep those mids rockin' since they aren't spiky speakers, they're more smooth.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I first saw this listed for 1175 on craigslist, then Dave (thanks dave :wub: ) found me a later posting for a thousand bucks. I managed to talk him down to 850. He also got it serviced, it has relatively new tubes, and he threw in two extra mesa power tubes.
No prob, bro. Welcome to Mesaland. :D

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Wait, why do I see three large tubes, and three small ones? Shouldn't it be four larger 6L6's and two smaller rectifier tubes?

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

It should be that? It looks like it so I guess that's right :lol: It sounded great plugged into his 2x12 before I picked it up, so unless he secretly fucked me over while I wasn't looking I think I should be good? :ugh:

How would I go about cleaning this btw? Its fucking filthy and seeing as I can't play it I might as well clean it.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
The only thing I can think is that one of those 6L6 bottles is short. There are length variations. I would recommend (would have done at time of purchase) pulling and inspecting each tube to make sure the right tubes are in the right slots.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The only thing I can think is that one of those 6L6 bottles is short. There are length variations. I would recommend (would have done at time of purchase) pulling and inspecting each tube to make sure the right tubes are in the right slots.
You are exactly right. Off the top of my head, I know Tung Sol sells the short bottle 6L6s, whereas Mesa currently uses the taller Rubies.

You can that P4 is not a recto tube, since it is curved at the top like a 6L6.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts

It should be that? It looks like it so I guess that's right :lol: It sounded great plugged into his 2x12 before I picked it up, so unless he secretly fucked me over while I wasn't looking I think I should be good? :ugh:

How would I go about cleaning this btw? Its fucking filthy and seeing as I can't play it I might as well clean it.
Got it backwards, 4 *shorter* 6L6's and 2 *taller* recto tubes :wub:

Yeah, wouldn't hurt to check what flavor they all are.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts