Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't happy with the DSL100 I had, so I went to my local shop to try out the Rectoverb 25/Mini Recto. Found this for a few bucks more used (got a hell of a deal on it) and definitely preferred it to its little brothers. I'm still dialing it in but making good progress so far. This absolutely blows away the DSL I had and seems to be extremely versatile. The only issue I've seen so far is the footswitch is the size of an aircraft carrier :lol:

As I posted in the Helix thread, I did buy an Atomic Amplifire 4 weeks ago, and while there are some great sounds in it, I was able to mic up and record a great rhythm tone in about 15 minutes with my old Peavey cab versus tweaking for hours on end with cab IRs and parametric EQs. I'd really rather just play and write than spend hours trying to get a sound I'm thrilled with. I'm also not big on playing through headphones, and the master volume on the Roadster is pretty good, so I will take a few weeks before I decide on what I'm going to do with the Amplifire.

It's about time I came back to Mesa - I loved the Mark IV I had and I never should have sold it.

PS - thanks to Drew for dealing with all of my annoying questions regarding the head. You were a ton of help and probably swayed me to grab it.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Welcome back to the family!

:dillon:

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick question - I have no idea how old these tubes are. Any recommendations, both for preamp and poweramp?

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Tung Sol 6L6 STR, Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1. Only change the other preamp tubes if they have an issue.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Been waiting for this thread for a while now. :lol:

Awesome, awesome, awesome score, man - while I'm currently battling Mark-V GAS, this is easily one of my favorite amp heads I've ever plugged into, much less owned. It seems a little more "responsive" to mid-gain sounds than most of the Rectos I've played, and does an awfully good job of the smoother Mark-like saturation, surprisingly so. And then the Tween and Brit modes are just fun. :lol:

And no prob, man, always happy to shoot the shit with you about amps. :D

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Ch2/Brit is absolutely my favorite mode on the amp, especially if you toss EL-34s in it.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Ch2/Brit is absolutely my favorite mode on the amp, especially if you toss EL-34s in it.
This is the one reasons I have hesitated to sell my Roadster that is sitting in your basement, the tone is so damn close to my Roadking on the two high gain channels that i dont need it for that.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
It's a stupidly fun channel. You could absolutely get by in a classic rock band just on that one channel alone, using your volume knob to control the gain.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
TungSols are relabeled Sovteks, albeit sounding pretty alright :lol:

I tend to go for JJ's, myself. I haven't had any issues, and have always liked the way things sound.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.