Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got my NAD 7100 on eBay. Sounds great with the Event 20/20s so far... small hole in the upper bass/lower mids (easily countered with the bass knob when not monitoring), but great otherwise.

Only problem is, the left channel is intermittent. It seems to take a little while to warm up before it kicks in. Is there an easy fix, or am I stuck hauling this thing off to a tech?

Basically, I got it from eBay for $121 shipped, so I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth it to get it fixed/cleaned/whatever. Bastard took three weeks to get it to me, so I'm a little unhappy already.

NAD 7100 vtg Stereo Receiver 60 Watts per & Pre-Amp - eBay (item 270635878304 end time Sep-22-10 15:29:03 PDT)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once it cuts in and out a little bit, it seems to work fine, so I'm guessing it's heat-related. Haven't checked the other set of speaker terminals yet. Appreciate it!

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
If it's thermal, it could be a lot of things, even a shit connection from an embrittled solder joint. Worst thing would be a shaky output transformer, but it's likely something less sinister.

PS: Awesome thread title. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the "B" speaker outputs work fine. It's just the A Left channel that's fucked up, and right now it won't make any sound at all. I'm using the "B" outputs, and it's not a HUGE deal, but it's annoying.

It's a case of "you get what you pay for", but should I worry about this problem spreading or possibly damaging something else?

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I wouldn't, Josh. I had a receiver for years that worked great on B, and only intermittently on A. :shrug:

If it were mine, being the compulsive fixer that I am, I would -

a) take it apart
b) look for loose connections or obvious problems
c) check any fuses
d) give everything a good blast of compressed air and some judicious use of electrical contact cleaner

That generally will fix at least half of your problems with shit like this.

Congrats :yesway:

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I should have been an asshole and told him I'm sure Drew has a great working stereo at his house Josh can go use. :lol:

Sorry, Josh. Sometimes my sense of "humor" gets the better of me. :D

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should have been an asshole and told him I'm sure Drew has a great working stereo at his house Josh can go use. :lol:

Sorry, Josh. Sometimes my sense of "humor" gets the better of me. :D
I'm never going to live that down, am I :lol:

Thanks for the tips though :yesway:

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I hope they help. :yesway:

In the long run though, well, besides the fact that we're all dead *, as long as you have 2 channels, you should be OK, and one fucking up won't necessarily effect the other. At least in my experience.

* see what I did there?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
My Old Man said:
It looks like 1 of 2 things may be at fault. Since this is a transistorized unit, there is no output transformer.

The "pushy" button for speaker set "A" may be at fault. It can be cleaned with either denatured alcohol or a fancy "electronic" cleaner. Be careful with the chemical choice as some plastics will turn into a melted glob when hit with an incompatible chemical. Denatured alcohol is "usually" safe but there is no guarantee. The person doing the application is responsible for testing before wide spread use of any cleaner.

Unless you're a qualified technician, do not take apart any line powered device with the power cord plugged in. In other words "you can get hurt, or worse, by the voltages inside any line powered device"! :lol:

You could try using the ground for "B" with the "hot" on "A" to see if "A" now works normally. If not, then it is the output line (circuit) that is at fault. Before performing a cleaning, visually inspect the solder connections for not only the output line but the ground as well. If you feel that the solder connections are OK, proceed with switch cleaning.

Cycle the switch a minimum of 50 times immediately after applying the cleaner being certain that it has entered the switch mechanism. This may correct it. If it doesn't correct it, the problem may be that the switch mechanism is worn out, or a bad solder joint is either present on the switch or on the speaker binding post/PCB area (most likely the binding post to PCB area). By your description of the problem, there can be no other area that is at fault. In all honesty, I would use it on "B" only and not fret about it! It is a used piece after all and should be treated as such.

Over the years my NAD 7155 has had numerous switch problems all of which were recoverable with cleaning.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I'm shit with a soldering iron, anyway. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dude, thanks Ryan! That is much appreciated! I shall take his advice and just enjoy it on output B for now, but that's good to know that if it happens again it's likely to be a button issue.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
So Ryan's dad basically says the same thing I said. :lol: Well, great minds think alike, I says.

As for the "pushy" switch, in elctromechanical stuff, over time, guess what tends to go out? The mechanical stuff. Moving parts. I just had an issue with the push botton power switch on my monitors. The power wouldn't stay on, especially if there was some bass moving the monitor around a little. :lol: Took it apart, everything looks good, but there was a little wire 'spring' like device that 'clicked' the push switch in between on and off positions. Figured it had been a little bent out of shape over time, tweaked it, and voila. Problem solved.

So the moral is, always be suspicious of moving (mechanical) parts on your gadgets if they start acting goofy. ;)

·
18,790 Posts
All I can add that hasn't already been said is that I'm an uber-fanboy of NAD gear. I love NAD. :lol:

I worked in a store that was a NAD dealer for a couple years and every once in a while someone would see the big NAD sign on the wall and start giggling to themselves, and we'd randomly make puns like "go NAD!", etc. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aaron loves NADs :yesway:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts