Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so I've finally gotten a chance to post pictures of my first real rig! :scream: Also I posted this on the other forum but wanted to share here :hsquid:

Last month I walked into my local GC and found an amp that I really dug. I came back a few days later with my jam buddies and they gave me their blessing haha. Put down a deposit and had to wait 3 weeks until I could actually purchase it due to GC policy :nuts:

After about a week surfing craigslist I found an awesome deal on a cabinet to go with it. Had to drive an hour and half there and then back again but I'd say it was worth the trouble because I got it cheap :fawk:

Not much of a pic story or unboxing but here I am along the way to pick up the cabinet :ugh: (Sorry for crappy pics)

FUUUUUUUUU SUN JUST WANT MY HALFSTACKZ

and hear it iz!

up close

frontal with guitar!

All pictures: Halfstack pictures by SpartanV - Photobucket

Well first thing I've got to say... is this thing is WAY too loud for my room! The 480w B-52 cab's speakers don't tend to really break up til volume 3 and thats with the gain at like 8 haha! It's definitely shaking the :poop: out of my walls! First time I turned it on, mind you at volume 2, my parents started screaming at me from downstairs :lol: The first actual time I got to crank it, I put the volume at 3.5 and the gain close to full for a few min and my ears were buzzin a bit! :roll2:

Unfortunately I've only gotten a few times to crank it in my room and have yet to get together with my buddies and jam... but I really can't wait! I'll be pairing this 300w beast against a Randall RH200 halfstack with the matching cab and I think the two will mix with each other pretty well. This cabinet is like 96ish lbs and is no fun to move but luckily it still has the original casters and I have friends!

I want to find an ISP Decimator (possibly MXR smart gate?) to make this thing totally quiet and get that ghostly silence between start and stop chugs, but I'm gonna wait til I can test it at jam practice w/o the gate first.

I was thinking about a boost or even using an old 10-band MXR EQ pedal I've got, but it already sounds pretty good to me when its at a good volume. Though I figure it wouldn't hurt to get the lows even tighter and smooth out some of the high end Dimebag-fizz :lol:

Unfortunately... I'm pretty sure the FX loop is broken... unless I'm doing something wrong but I don't think I am. Everytime I plug something into the FX loop send/return there is a really loud buzzing and the volume is pretty much gone and I have to crank it to get anything out of it. The manual on Randall's website says the loop is a "stereo" loop and I can't figure out if this means it's a parallel or series loop :confused: Does anyone know what a stereo loop is?

I've tried using my POD XT's gate and comp in the loop but that is laughable :rofl: I even borrowed my dad's DBX 266XL compressor/gate and that still had an annoying buzz and lowww volume. Do you guys think the loop is broken or do you think the power in my wall is just shitty with interference? I've tried plugging everything into a good surge protector too :scratch: If it is indeed broken... I have about a week left to return the head within the 30 day period or try to make Guitar Center repair it... or I can go to the local amp repair guy. Thoughts?

I'll most likely upgrade the cabinet first but for now I am happy with the sound of the amp and enjoy it's old school vibe. I'd like to make sure the FX loop works and keep it until I can afford something nicer. :D

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Sweet deal!

Those are the "nicer" B52 cabs for what it's worth... They're actually pretty solidly built. I threw some Eminence speakers into mine, sounds great.

As for the loop, make sure it's wired right, the FX send should go to the 'input' of the pedal, and the 'output' of the pedal should go to the return. If it's wired right, take it back to GC and have them take a look at it. (also, check your cables just to be sure)

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet deal!

Those are the "nicer" B52 cabs for what it's worth... They're actually pretty solidly built. I threw some Eminence speakers into mine, sounds great.

As for the loop, make sure it's wired right, the FX send should go to the 'input' of the pedal, and the 'output' of the pedal should go to the return. If it's wired right, take it back to GC and have them take a look at it. (also, check your cables just to be sure)
Thanks man! I'm pretty happy with the scoring this B-52 although later down the line I will probably look for an XL or Mesa cab.

Yeah I wired the loop exactly like you said through my POD XT, through the MXR EQ and my dad's DBX comp/gate... I dunno what's wrong. I'm gonna give Guitar Center a call and ask if they'll fix it :roll2: I'm pretty sure if it was just the power interference from my wall the volume wouldn't die out as well. I found out from Randall that the loop is indeed series, which is good news :yesway:

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats man. Your first half stack is a special moment.
Yup. :yesway: That's why I bought another Supreme 160. I was ~18 when I got it the first time, and holy shit did it make my year. There's few things in life as awesome as your first halfstack. :metal:
Thanks guys! I've never been more excited with guitar aside from maybe the first time I actually got my own guitar! :metalorc:

When I get the chance / equipment I'll post clips / recordings of this thing!

As far as the FX loop, I feel very stupid... the manual says stereo loop so I probably need stereo TRS cables... just ordered 2 from musiciansfriend :metal:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.