Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Road King back with 7DT's I needed an amp for my 2nd band and was specifically after a Mark. Cobra Commander spotted this on eBay and I took a punt. Low starting bid and nobody else bid, so I got this for a price so low I'm buying a mask and changing my name to Robin Bastard or similar :lol:

It's a US voltage Mark III red stripe combo, chassis dated March 1987, which makes it the oldest amp I've owned. Needless to say, it rips.

Crappy shot in the back of my car

Better shot from eBay

Guts

Chassis

For some reason the reverb switching jack has been moved, I guess so single/mono jack switches can be used for switching the EQ and Reverb rather than them being on a shared jack

Plans down the line are to convert it to UK voltage and make a headshell, plus generally play the fuck out of it.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool and all, but...you get an amp, take the thing apart, take pictures of its insides, but don't post any clips?! :facepalm:
a) I can't get it loud enough to sound truly good in the house
b) I suck
c) I don't have a mic/loadbox/interface of any kind
d) I suck

I might take a recording of it tomorrow night, but it'll just be an iPhone job

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Nice score :) I love my Mark Combo, it's crazy loud. Is that an EVM in it?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
How DOES it sound?

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
With the Road King back with 7DT's I needed an amp for my 2nd band and was specifically after a Mark. Cobra Commander spotted this on eBay and I took a punt. Low starting bid and nobody else bid, so I got this for a price so low I'm buying a mask and changing my name to Robin Bastard or similar :lol:

It's a US voltage Mark III red stripe combo, chassis dated March 1987, which makes it the oldest amp I've owned. Needless to say, it rips.

Crappy shot in the back of my car

Better shot from eBay

Guts

Chassis

For some reason the reverb switching jack has been moved, I guess so single/mono jack switches can be used for switching the EQ and Reverb rather than them being on a shared jack

Plans down the line are to convert it to UK voltage and make a headshell, plus generally play the fuck out of it.
Nice I have a Red Stripe rack mount that i am about to put in a combo and got mine for like $550 and same situation opening bid and no one else bid, how much was yours?

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Congrats man.

Don't worry about not being good, we just want to hear the thing. Critiquing your chops would be a separate thread :p

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, ok, I'll get some clips tonight :lol:

Wirelessly posted

Nice! The old marks are rad. I'm not a fan of the evm though. What do you think?
It seems ok so far, but I've only played it for an hour or so and not at high volumes. All that will change tonight though.

Nice I have a Red Stripe rack mount that i am about to put in a combo and got mine for like $550 and same situation opening bid and no one else bid, how much was yours?
£400. To put that in perspective, a used JCM800 is £500-£600, used 5153-50's are £600ish and a new Mark V head is £2400.

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
Geez, you stole that thing.

I don't know for sure what it is about the EVM I dislike so much. It sounds good for lower gain stuff, but at higher gain its just kind of flubby, and crap. Let me know what you think of it after your rehersal.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Ok, ok, I'll get some clips tonight :lol:

It seems ok so far, but I've only played it for an hour or so and not at high volumes. All that will change tonight though.

£400. To put that in perspective, a used JCM800 is £500-£600, used 5153-50's are £600ish and a new Mark V head is £2400.
Sounds like you are about in the same boat price wise as I am, great amps for the money.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right Lee, you can stop bitching for clips. A bit rushed as we had to squeeze them in at the end, but last night was a clusterfuck that involved us having to change rehearsal venues.

Signal chain for both videos is guitar>Ibanez TS Mini>amp. The preamp tubes are still the 15+ year old ones it came with, powertubes are Tung Sol 6L6's running extremely cold (bias mod ahead for this amp). Video was shot on my iPhone 6, so not the best quality either.

This is me playing my LTD M307 using my Line 6 wireless, playing some riffs from our latest song. Excuse that I forgot how the run from the chorus riff goes, which is why I played it differently each time.

This is Adam (Cobra Commander) playing my green dot Universe, using a cable, not the wireless.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ran this with the combo speaker (EVM-12L) and one of my V30 loaded Zilla's last night, which sounded very good indeed. I'm now considering either swapping a V30 in one of the Zilla's for the EVM-12L when I convert the combo to a head, or grabbing a pair of Mesa Thiele cabs and having one V30 loaded and the other EVM-12L.

I did grab some GoPro footage with the whole band playing last night, but I've not watched it back yet to check the sound quality. The blend of mine and Adam's rigs is pretty damn nice

1 - 20 of 20 Posts