Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, please, I know, the 2:90 is a monster that brings the thunder yadda yadda yadda... Motherfucker is heavy, and I want something lighter :lol:

I just finished wrapping this together, and so far, it's pretty awesome on the highest volume I was able to get it to today, 2, which was just a hair too loud for my garage.

I went with the Pedal Baby (stupid goddamn name, I know :lol: ) over the SD Powerstage products because those are all Class D, and while lighter, seem to suffer from a huge power loss as cab impedance goes up. Their "rated" power is at 4 ohms, so the 170 is 170W at 4 ohms. But then it's 85W at 8 ohms, and just 42 at 16 ohms, or some such nonsense. The Orange is Class AB, which makes it a bit heavier, but it doesn't have that power curve.

I mounted the Orange to the rack shelf using it's rubber foot screws and some o-rings I had lying around. It's pretty rock solid in there!

I also managed to fish my Furman into the back, which I had planned on, and am super happy that my measurements all paid off, as the plan was to shove the Furman behind the Orange, and there's about 3" to spare between them.

And, I rearranged the pedalboard, since it was a bit throw-together before.

I'm pretty pumped to start gigging again IN THE YEAR 2525 :lol:

But seriously, this rig is awesome. It's got enough tube sound/feel at high volume that I don't miss the 110 pounds of shit I was hauling previously. And having just 3 cables in the whole fucking thing (power cable, speaker cable, XLR to MFC-101, running a Shure wireless to the guitar) is so gloriously ridiculous that I also don't miss having 85 knobs set just where I want them and 35 separate devices all requiring the right amount of power.

Attachments

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Nice! :metal:

I would have re-re-resold you that Carvin PA again on the cheap but I already ended up ebaying it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! :metal:

I would have re-re-resold you that Carvin PA again on the cheap but I already ended up ebaying it. :lol:
That poor thing :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Who are you and what have you done with Leon?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to crank it up today, and I can definitely feel the lack of low end versus the 2:90. Granted, it wasn't SUPER loud, and with the onboard bass control I was able to compensate a bit, and this was just a 2x12. I really need to get it to my band's practice space to hear it through the Mesa 4x12 I typically play through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts