Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've spent some time with the XTC and am loving it. It's pulling everything I need from it tonally and I'm fucking loving the blue channel. Started working on a new song for a side project I'm hoping to start soon and figured I'd get berated for posting a clip since I've not really done it much.

It's just my chopped TAT with an EMG 57/66 set, an OD808, into the blue channel of the amp dialled up to my likeness (everything at 6) and into the Torpedo VB101 with a Recto/57 and XTC/57 pairing on each side. Just one take, one track either side with a bass track and some drum loop to fill in for the moment till I program something else. Not really mixed or eq'd or anything special, just very raw and thrown together in about 15 minutes.

Enjoy. Or don't. I can't tell you what to do, I'm not your wife.

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
I'd like to hear this through my monitors but it's sound really good on the old iPad speaker.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
So I've spent some time with the XTC and am loving it. It's pulling everything I need from it tonally and I'm fucking loving the blue channel. Started working on a new song for a side project I'm hoping to start soon and figured I'd get berated for posting a clip since I've not really done it much.

It's just my chopped TAT with an EMG 57/66 set, an OD808, into the blue channel of the amp dialled up to my likeness (everything at 6) and into the Torpedo VB101 with a Recto/57 and XTC/57 pairing on each side. Just one take, one track either side with a bass track and some drum loop to fill in for the moment till I program something else. Not really mixed or eq'd or anything special, just very raw and thrown together in about 15 minutes.

Enjoy. Or don't. I can't tell you what to do, I'm not your wife.

I had an XTC with every option for many years, was a great amp but considering the tone I was going for I could get out of my JCM800 I sold it, just could not justify keeping such an expensive amp if I could get the tone from my JCM800. But keep digging that amp has many tones and if that is the voice you like you will love it, I always loved it going through my uber cab.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounded pretty frickin' gnarly, Six. A bit more of a grungier sound than I like, but it suits the music/riff. :yesway:
Yeah it was the sound I was going for as is a kinda sleazy, old school heavy rock kinda song. I've been using the amp for its more hi gain stuff for the bands demos but I'm not quite ready to post them as they lack any drums and I'm still working with the vocalist on the vocals. Thing I love about this amp is it does the dirty grungy kinda thing, as well as the old school JCM thing, the Plexi switch is brilliant for early 80s thrash and pumping the red channel into right mode with an OD is pure modern win.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had an XTC with every option for many years, was a great amp but considering the tone I was going for I could get out of my JCM800 I sold it, just could not justify keeping such an expensive amp if I could get the tone from my JCM800. But keep digging that amp has many tones and if that is the voice you like you will love it, I always loved it going through my uber cab.
That's fair enough. For me it provides a nice versatile palette I don't have in my other amps. I'm thinking of getting back into some session work and I'm already gearing up for gear hire/reamping services so keeping it around makes sense for me. I'm still hunting for a true JCM800 but truth be told I prefer the sound of the Sovtek MIG100 for that cascade gain Brit tone.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Definitely more Marshally than I'd usually go for, but it does it well. :shrug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts