Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this made in china 6505 off ebay for a pretty good price so the MIC part didn't bug me too much. It does have a "designed in the usa" badge on the front I guess to mislead people into thinking it was actually made here. (buying used not giving peavey any of my money = :yesway: )

Came with a full set of ruby tubes and for some reason has a footswitch? There's also a channel select button on the front which is confusing since it only has a lead channnel.

Anyway sounds pretty good and is a bit fuzzier than I was expecting I guess. I'm not sure I ever played an original one of these, I think they always had the +/II models at Guitar Center which are cool but I figured my IIIs sound a lot more like those so this would be the best one to get. Compared to my other amps this is definitely a "just sounds good no matter what" amp i.e. you can play poorly and have a crappy guitar sound into it but it somehow puts out an awesome tone lol. The other ones are way more "revealing" imo. Especially the EVH ones are a lot less fuzzy/saturated in comparison.

Here's my "stack of doom" though idk I may put the 50W on top of the Mark since it's getting kind of tall.

towerofpower2.jpg

I think the G12H-150 redback I stuck in the left slot in my 2x12 has broken in a bit, it sounds less fizzy now than it originally did when I put it in. I still think I like the grittiness of the G12H-75 creamback better though.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That's a lot of gain in one picture.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
If it's fuzzy turn the presence down :yesway:.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Bias mod it. Will mitigate fizz. Will make ears bleed.
If you're playing this thing at bedrooms volume, its going to sound like ass/fizzy (this is why i got a 6505 mh). You gotta play these things with the volume level around 3 to reduce fuzz/get good tone. Also, if you add an mxr 10 band eq and cut down the 16khz frequency, it takes out almost all the fizz.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you're playing this thing at bedrooms volume, its going to sound like ass/fizzy (this is why i got a 6505 mh). You gotta play these things with the volume level around 3 to reduce fuzz/get good tone. Also, if you add an mxr 10 band eq and cut down the 16khz frequency, it takes out almost all the fizz.
Through the effects loop or straight in?

I have a 6505 1x12 that I'm not too crazy about.....and I also happened to have recently obtained the mxr 10 band eq. :eek:

I know the obvious "just try both ways yourself"....but honestly, I think most here have a more professional ear than me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You'll want to put it in the FX loop - I did this for a while with my Bugera 6262 (6505+ clone) and it worked pretty well for bedroom playing. Turn the pedal on and pull the volume slider down on the pedal to near minimum level and you'll be able to turn the amp's volume up without it getting too loud and you'll get a fuller sounding distortion / less fizz.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I mean it sounds fine to me, was just comparing it to the EVH, I actually kinda like the fuzzy sound since that is what I was going for :lol: It sounds exactly like the old through the eyes of the dead records. :hbang:

It is funny though because I just looked up what they used apparently it was a DSL100 on the recording and 6505 live :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I believe it, DSL100's can bring the br00tz.

I have that CD somewhere, gotta dig it out :yesway:.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Through the effects loop or straight in?

I have a 6505 1x12 that I'm not too crazy about.....and I also happened to have recently obtained the mxr 10 band eq. :eek:

I know the obvious "just try both ways yourself"....but honestly, I think most here have a more professional ear than me.
Loop for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts