Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an FJA modded Jet City JCA20H today. And god damn, does this thing sound killer! This thing is a little monster! :metal:
The mods include an effects loop, foot switchable clean channel and an added gain stage. Not real sure what it exactly is. :lol: The clean channel is setup with one volume control and no master volume. The only bummer is that the clean channel shares the gain control from the "lead" channel so if I want it really clean, I have to back the gain way off. And it has a fairly audible pop when you switch channels. Not really a big deal for me since I originally wanted one of these for just home jamming/recording.

The thought did cross my mind to get another modeler since it's just for home use but being a born-again tube snob, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. :D

And I did check out an Egnater Rebel 20, but for far less I got this in damn near new condition plus a 112 cab. Also being a Soldano nut, this was a no brainer. :yesway:

I have no real way to record clips at the moment but in the mean time, this is pretty much exactly it:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I picked up the combo version not too long ago and even stock this sounds awesome!

Congrats :metal:

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! I was thinking about getting one of those but then this one popped up.
Donnie's got a blue NAD :yesway:
I think I got a theme developing with the "blue":

:shrug:

:D

Oh, and by the way...
As for the 112 cab I got, I'm wondering how many people here remember this company(I'm thinking not many on this forum. :lol:):

All hail the 80s! :D Much like Soldano/Jet City... another local company(that's right. I support, yo!). I guess they started back up a few years ago or something. Solid little cab. :yesway: Makes me want to play some fuckin' Man-O-war or something. :lol:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sweet amp. I remember Music Lord. A few local stores carried them back in the day. It always seemed like you never saw a normal looking music lord cab. They always had some f'ed up covering on them. LOL

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Nice score! I absolutely raved about the JC20 the first time I played one, and it always bummed me out that it didn't have an effects loop. I'd be curious to hear a stock and modded one back to back.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
That might be a nice cheap contrast to my DC. I like that they're offering a different faceplate now too:

FJA does a whole ton of cool shit to it; new OT with variable ohm selection, clean channel, effects loop, extra gain stage, etc.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You can also buy Friedman-modded JCA20s direct at the Jet City store, with a variety of mods including FX loops.

Online Store - Jet City Amplification

They also sell the different front baffles in metal and a variety of colors.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

:wag:

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sweet amp. I remember Music Lord. A few local stores carried them back in the day. It always seemed like you never saw a normal looking music lord cab. They always had some f'ed up covering on them. LOL
Yeah, there's been one floating around on craigslist with what the seller calls a "peacock" covering. I kinda hope he posts it again cause I kind of want it. :lol:

You can also buy Friedman-modded JCA20s direct at the Jet City store, with a variety of mods including FX loops.

Online Store - Jet City Amplification

They also sell the different front baffles in metal and a variety of colors.
I saw that yesterday. Pretty cool that they sell those direct.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I agree, however I like the black metal one a little better. Damn cool little head, if it captures a Soldano vibe.
It definitely does, albeit with less headroom. Great "modded hot-rodded Marshall" sound.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I used this thing at practice tonight through my Avatar 412 w/ Eminence whatevers in it. Got to say that I'm impressed as hell. Held up up pretty well against the other guitarist's Fryette Sig X. I had the volume at about 5.5. Once it hits about 6 the volume increase kinda stops and it just gets more saturated. But honestly, anything past 5 on this thing is kinda ridiculous. Also, we were a tad bit louder tonight but it still cut through the mix quite nicely. The solos cut through even better. I didn't even need to use a boost. This thing just sings when it comes to leads. :yesway:

And it's an excellent companion to my Titan. Sounds damn close to it at lower to moderate volumes(which is what I was hoping for). But that's kind of understandable since the Titan is basically an SLO100 clone.
All in all, I'm really pleased with it. I have no doubt that within the next couple of months I will end up with either a Jet City JCA50H or JCA100H as a cheap back up for the Titan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts