Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Returned my JP today, and I had a field day with having $1299 to blow on whatever. Played an $1100 bamboo telecaster that was fucking rad, but, I'm gonna wait on buying a tele. Almost bought an RG prestige, but it had obviously been djented on way too hard. Almost bought two USA Jackson's, but they weren't mint. Then, as I was trying one of the S Prestige's out, I plugged into a Mini Rec. Does gain? Fuck yes. Cleans? Super fuck yes. In betweens? It's a Mesa, like a $2000 prostitute, it'll do whatever the fuck you want. The second I finished swishing through all the setting I knew it must be had. I'd been wanting something with better cleans, and was looking at '65 twins, HR devilles, HT40's, but this did just what I wanted, and then some. Also, no million switches on the back like any other Mesa. And it was on clearance. Anyways...
I did this via mobile, so for some reason I could only get one pic in. But... It's just a small rectifier.

View attachment 10618

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. I didn't notice the following until I got home: I don't have a guitar ATM :lol: my S is getting trem locked and pickup installed. Also ordered a YJM middle pickup :metal:
GC is dropping Mesa, so if you find a cool manager, you can get things at cost. I could've got a dual rec new for $1500~. I didn't wnna be broke again, though.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
not worth going broke over but nice score!!

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't go broke, I still pocketed $420 between the JP and this! Can't wait to crank it. This was on clearance.
Thanks guise :wub:

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
why is GC dropping Mesa?
I'm going to venture a guess that it has something to do with their 1.5 billion dollar debt, which would probably lead to an inability to pay for quality product effectively. It's more likely that Mesa is dropping Guitar Center than the other way around.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I heard because GC doesn't want to have to buy their pedals. And they require it contractually.

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Well, I don't imagine they sell quite as many of the pricey beasts as they do the smaller boutique amps these days, so it probably gets expensive having them setting around their shops for so long.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
It's also possible that your local GC lost their contract with Mesa - Mesa will only allow one dealer per region, so it's possible someone else in the area got the dealership.

GREAT amp, either way. I covet one.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Actually, here's the official statement from Mesa:

Mesa/Boogie Discontinues with GC | MMR Magazine

Mesa/Boogie Ltd. has elected not to renew Guitar Center as an authorized Mesa/Boogie dealer.

In a press release from Mesa/Boogie, founder, president, and chief designer Randall Smith is quoted as saying: "It is with regret - and we certainly wish GC well, but it's important for us to provide musicians with a thorough and professional representation of our products. We work hard to exceed expectations in everything we do, so it's vital that we have a focused network of dealers who share our commitment and ideals."

·
Read Only
10 Posts
And from CNN Money:

"Guitar Center has been losing money every year since acquisition, making it a nightmare equity investment for Bain Capital. Moody's rated it a lowly Caa2 (defined as "poor standing and subject to very high credit risk") in November 2010. In its report, the ratings firm stated that "the company's capital structure is unsustainable over the medium term at current levels of operating performance, and hence the probability of a default has increased. The agency affirmed the rating in February this year and as of March, the principal balance on Guitar Center's outstanding long-term debt was $1.57 billion."

1 - 20 of 77 Posts