Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a 6505 MH a couple months ago - and I liked it. It did what I expected, but the more I played it, the more I felt it was a bit of a one-trick pony.

During the process of choosing the 6505 MH, I also looked at the Laney Ironheart IRT 15, but passed.

This Ironheart 60H showed up in a Facebook group I belong to - the owner was looking for a microhead in trade. I added a little cash and we made a deal.

The IRT 60H is a footswitchable 3-channel amp with a built-in boost and independent EQs. It's actually two channels (rhythm and lead) with a switchable clean channel. Some of the pots are push/pull for additional tone options. I'm going to explore more of that this weekend.

The built-in attenuator will take the amp from 1< to 60W, so it still works for my office play.

Cleans are damned decent... much better than the 6505 MH, but that's no surprise. Frankly, I didn't expect really great cleans out of the 6505. There's a lot of room to play with tone once you switch out of clean. Add the Badass Overdrive, and you have pure win.

So far, I've discovered that this amp is very sensitive to pick attack and even with OD, nothing gets mushy or fizzy. I was pleasantly surprised. Plus, I'm playing it through my Mesa 4x12 and it's loaded with V30's so that doesn't hurt.

Anyway, I'll play this more over the weekend and let you know what I think.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Yeah, all kinds of versatility here and I still get really decent metal tones, as well. I think I made a good trade.

Oh, and the red LEDs... there's the added bonus of telling relatives that I purchased the amplifier secondhand from Satan and it steals the soul of anyone within earshot.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Every Laney I have ever heard in person or played through has always sounded spectacular. Every Laney owner I've known (only about 4) was always having some sort of problem, and the amp was occasionally at the shop....they'd eventually move on to a different brand. That said, my whole life I've never viewed Peavey as the best brand either....I never liked anything about them until the 5150 was invented.

I would totally take the Laney over the little Peavey. :yesway:

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Nice choice. :metal:

Couple tips:
The dynamics is a resonance knob. Lower is tighter, higher is looser (but bigger bass).
The tone knob is a presence.
The EQ is not active, regardless of the +/- graphic on the front panel.
Real od pedals are better than the onboard boost.

The pull knobs are interesting. The pull deep is kinda cool, and the mid shift gives some more variations. The pull on the treble I don't really "get" or use.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice choice. :metal:

Couple tips:
The dynamics is a resonance knob. Lower is tighter, higher is looser (but bigger bass).
The tone knob is a presence.
The EQ is not active, regardless of the +/- graphic on the front panel.
Real od pedals are better than the onboard boost.

The pull knobs are interesting. The pull deep is kinda cool, and the mid shift gives some more variations. The pull on the treble I don't really "get" or use.
Thanks very much!

·
I Am The Tweaker
490 Posts
It seems like Laney has really come into their own with the IronHeart line. I remember years ago, the only Laney amps I'd see were solid state amps. I'm sure their tube heads were decent but they just looked kind of cheap. The IronHearts on the other hand, look pretty badass and from what I've been hearing/reading, they sound pretty badass as well.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How does this sound with single coils with a higher gainish tone? Is it darker than a 6505?
I really don't know. I've pared down so much on guitars that I have only two - and both have humbuckers. However, I'll run the split pot on my SG and see what I can come up with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.