Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked this thing up for a pittance as I was lacking something cleaner that used a chunk of power amp distortion. This thing seems to fit the bill nicely. Basic 2 channel head, shared eq and reverb, however it runs a goddamn OCTET of EL84's. 100 watts, 8 EL84's. It's kinda like a hybrid between a Vox AC30 and a JCM800. Thrown through my Greenback cabinet with my 52 Tele reissue or Joshua (Mexican tele with a 20 year old Tone Zone in the bridge) and I can't help but turn it up and throw down some old school hard rock. Hit it with an 808 and it can pull off crazy cranked 800 style shred with a brighter top from the odd power section. The clean channel is alright but lacks a major degree of depth but has that nice soft compression from the EL84's when you turn it up a little bit.

Here's a clip I threw together in a few minutes, so excuse the sloppy playing and lack of production as I couldn't be assed and I still haven't treated the room so it's hard to dial in a sound properly and get the mix right. This was mostly a chance to play around with the new amp and use the VB101 more. It's a cover of 'Rock and Roll Outlaw' by Rose Tattoo and this amp was made to play this kinda thing.

Signal Chain
Guitar Joshua > Classic 100 > VB101 > 1818VSL > Studio One (logic is fucking up)
Bass Old Morris P Bass thing > Sansamp BDDI > 1818VSL > Studio One

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Sounds good :agreed:

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I love the Peavey Classic amps. My friend had a Classic 30 combo that was such a fun amp to play.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Sounds good man - I did not know they made 100.

I've played a bunch of Classic 30s, they're awesome.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah they were around for a brief bit in the mid 90s. Cool amps but the whole 8 EL84's put people off from a retubing standpoint.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bummer. Yeah this was on Gumtree for a week or two and I decided to grab it when some extra stuff I had sold.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it HOWLS with an 808 in the front end. I'll throw up a clip sometime later this afternoon of a little more pushed stuff. Just don't expect any amazing playing as I have nowhere near the lead chops most of you guys do.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Sounds pretty good dude. I have an old Classic 20 from like 93 or so laying around here somewhere :lol::yesway:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, gotta love how we get to the point of having so many pieces of gear that some of it is 'around'. According to my research this one is from 94. Might use it later in the year for my first forays into modding and amp related stuff as I'm doing an amp building and designing course in August.

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
First that Fender and now this. Sounds great V6

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Nice sound clip!

This amp probably goes into the category of "if I see it for a low price I would consider it" rather than something that I would GAS for.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

I grabbed it because it was cheap ($270 to be precise) and it'll tie me over til I can track down a nice used Soldano Astroverb 16 combo.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I always liked the Classic 30. Solid clean, not a ton of gain but a little more than you'd expect looking at it. It was a pretty good blues-rock combo.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

How does it compare to the delta blues? I tried a strat through one and it was awesome.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

I haven't played a delta blues so I couldn't tell you honestly. Although this is a classic 50 with more power tubes so it doesn't have the boost function the 30 does and has more gain from the tubes themselves. It's got about as much gain as a plexi so when you hit it with an OD it goes into 800 territory.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Delta is 115 and i think 6L6?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts