Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NAID fail - Steinberg UR22

I'm pretty sure I don't need to post pics of this ubiquitous grey box, but I'm hoping it will be my path back into proper practice, maybe even demos and songwriting after pretty much all my computer gear shat on me.

OTOH, the UR22 might well get Jeff'd - I've seen lots of people complaining that it clips on the Hi Z input setting designed for guitars. :noplease:

While I can still Jeff it, what d'you think I should have bought?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I'm pretty sure I don't need to post pics of this ubiquitous grey box, but I'm hoping it will be my path back into proper practice, maybe even demos and songwriting after pretty much all my computer gear shat on me.

OTOH, the UR22 might well get Jeff'd - I've seen lots of people complaining that it clips on the Hi Z input setting designed for guitars. :noplease:

While I can still Jeff it, what d'you think I should have bought?
You haven't been here long enough to use my name as a verb.

EDIT

And yes, it does clip on the HiZ input, so you will.........Jeff it. You should have gotten the Presonus iTwo, which has the same capability, but doesn't clip, and works on iOS as well.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update, having finally hooked it up: of course, it does clip on the Hi Z with input gain as low as it will go. RG 550 with an Evolution in the bridge, FWIW.:rant:

So, what to do now? Return it and get something better? It's hard to know what that would be, because the UR22 is recommended over interfaces that cost quite a bit more.

I was looking forward to using the bundled Cubase, as I was used to an earlier version of that, rather than having to learn how to use a different host. Seems a bit daft to go getting something like Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 instead of the more obvious Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4 just to get the "free" software. Otherwise I guess I'd just have to learn Reaper, seems to be good enough for pretty much everyone.

Or do I get something to stick in the signal path that will reduce the input signal? What sort of DI box do I need for that?

I don't need iOS compatibility, Jeff. Sorry if you felt I was being overly familiar.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Shame to hear the unit has problems. I watched a couple of videos on that series when I was choosing an interface and thought it looked great.

Apparently input 2 has less clipping. Just read this in a product review:

I've found that using Input 2 on the UR22 with the gain set to a little over half way with Hi-Z switched off gives me clean signal without any clipping.
Did you try that at all?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Update, having finally hooked it up: of course, it does clip on the Hi Z with input gain as low as it will go. RG 550 with an Evolution in the bridge, FWIW.:rant:

So, what to do now? Return it and get something better? It's hard to know what that would be, because the UR22 is recommended over interfaces that cost quite a bit more.

I was looking forward to using the bundled Cubase, as I was used to an earlier version of that, rather than having to learn how to use a different host. Seems a bit daft to go getting something like Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 instead of the more obvious Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4 just to get the "free" software. Otherwise I guess I'd just have to learn Reaper, seems to be good enough for pretty much everyone.

Or do I get something to stick in the signal path that will reduce the input signal? What sort of DI box do I need for that?

I don't need iOS compatibility, Jeff. Sorry if you felt I was being overly familiar.
No worries dude, I was kidding. Seriously though, it's a nice interface, but the clipping is annoying. The iTwo is just as good, and even if you don't need iOS compatibility, it's a great interface.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Input 2 on the UR22 is the one with the Hi-Z function. I've tried turning that off, but the guitar sounds like ass without it, even if there's then no clipping. This dude explains this and demonstrates the problem with the UR22 very well:

While that's cool, none of this should be necessary, as the Hi-Z switch is supposed to take care of all this. :mad:

The two DI boxes suggested by the dude on Gearslutz are more expensive than the UR22!

Radial Engineering J 48

Radial Engineering JDI

Though it does seem like cheaper options are also available: Palmer PAN 01

The impression I get is that the interface is supposed to be semi-disposable. I'd like to see more robust controls. I'd be OK spending more money, but it doesn't seem that will buy me much more quality until I'm spending several times the price of the UR22. RME Babyface was recommended in one shop as the next real step up. It has an odd concept for something I want to use at home.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
It's poor for any product to have to have any mandatory after-market upgrades.

FWIW, I have a related story; I'm producing this band's album at the moment, and the guitarist is currently in the process of doing DI's. He'd done his guitar tracks (a quad-tracked, 12-song album) only to notice some horrific buzzing once I started doing tone tests. We thought it might be his guitar, and it was... but it was also his interface. He tried recording some DI's again (with a different guitar) only this time with his DI box into the Focusrite, and there was still some terrible interference. Not as bad, but still there. He dusted off his old M-Audio and it was better, but with an inferior sounding pre, so took his Focusrite back to the store and swapped for a UR44. MUCH better. Incredibly clean DI's, with no interference or buzzing. I'll have to get him to try his guitar straight in to the HiZ input of the UR44 and see how it is, because thus far it's been his Radial > UR44 I believe, but it's sounding great. Very impressed by the signals I'm receiving.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's hardly an upgrade to have to buy a DI box that costs more than the interface in the first place! I expect the UR44 has the same problem, it looks to be built with all the same components.

My problem is really that the UR22 really does seem to be a good product, just this one stupid oversight. I might not end up going direct much at all, but I'd like to try soft amps, never have before.

He'd done his guitar tracks (a quad-tracked, 12-song album) only to notice some horrific buzzing once I started doing tone tests.
Ouch! That's a whole lot of wasted takes! Bet he was :pissed:

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sent it back today.

Leaning the way of the NI Komplete when my refund comes through.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts