Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Aw fuck the Mayans were right. :(

If I can be serious though predicting a massive solar storm like this 2 years out seems a bit dicey.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Hm, the article is so vague that I have trouble taking it seriously. Knocking out power in the whole world? For how long? Even though in 1921, it only knocked out telegraph and not the power grid.

However, I hope that, if this does happen, it doesn't last any longer than a few days... or people with medical conditions like mine can be in huuuuge trouble.

Aw fuck the Mayans were right. :(

If I can be serious though predicting a massive solar storm like this 2 years out seems a bit dicey.
:lol: Seeing as calendars are pretty arbitrary, it's impossible for the Mayans NOT to be right.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
It's actually May 2013 that the peak happens, and it's not really possible at this point to pinpoint the severity of it. There are also ways to prevent damage to our grids by spending 250mil on protecting our power transformers, but the dipshits in Senate didn't pass the bill that the House unanimously did. Thanks, fuckwads.

Similar problems happened in 1859, as well as 1989 Ontario's grid was shut down for hours by this sort of thing. Unlike most of the 2012 BS, this could technically actually happen.

Not end of the world stuff, but sending us back to an Amish equivalent level of tech, which is unable to handle this size population.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I think if we could disconnect the grid here and there, we'll be fine. The problem occurs when you have huge magnetic fluxes in the atmosphere, inducing current in the grid (just like how a pickup works :vince:). Breaking up the giant grid into smaller ones will lessen the induced current, and might keep transformers / stations from overloading.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I think if we could disconnect the grid here and there, we'll be fine. The problem occurs when you have huge magnetic fluxes in the atmosphere, inducing current in the grid (just like how a pickup works :vince:). Breaking up the giant grid into smaller ones will lessen the induced current, and might keep transformers / stations from overloading.
Given that we generally have a two day lead time from when NASA detects the CME and when it reaches the Earth, you're probably right.

NOTE: Europe won't have a problem, because they're not all interconnected in the way the US is.

The problem here is getting power companies to listen. Would you rather have two days of outage, or a year, and trillions of dollars?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
:lol: So you're suggesting going with mini humbuckers in lieu of Blackouts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.