Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Didn't find any posts on this through search, though I have to assume you've all seen this. Any thoughts on these things?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I can't watch the video from work, but I'm guessing these are the videos of dust and space trash often touted as alien?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I think a lot of those are water droplets, ice crystals, lens artifacts or miscellaneous space junk.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't watch the video from work, but I'm guessing these are the videos of dust and space trash often touted as alien?
Might very well be, yeah. I hadn't seen any of these before despite the age of some of them (back to '65), but some are definitely more interesting than others. Satelites that smash into each other in orbit will leave oddly shaped pieces with strange orbits, but all in all it's not 'too boring to watch'. And odd diversion, as it were.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I'm skeptical, but some few of the things are decidedly interesting, in that there isn't an obvious answer to their origin, and they make you think. So, possibilities, regardless of what the images are or are not.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
@2.33, definitely just ice melting onto the window. Lots of shiny space-junk out there :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
@2.33, definitely just ice melting onto the window. Lots of shiny space-junk out there :lol:
:lol: The things people see.

Interesting when you know that when people want to believe something, no matter what you tell them will not convince them that they are wrong. It's kind of depressing actually.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
ufo's are real in the sense that they are unidentified objects. so the could be ANYTHING.

for some reason people think ufo = little green men.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
:lol: The things people see.

Interesting when you know that when people want to believe something, no matter what you tell them will not convince them that they are wrong. It's kind of depressing actually.
There was a study published in the last year that essentially confirms this strange behaviour. One of the biggest examples? The people who refuse to believe Barack Obama is a) American-born and b) Christian, despite overwhelming evidence. There are certain people who, when confronted with evidence that refutes their beliefs, tend to believe in their "truth" even more.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.0.13.37.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P014) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Well, considering the size of the universe, I think it's highly unlikely aliens do not exist. Do I believe they've been captured on this video? Not really. Wish I could watch it now, though.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.0.13.37.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P014) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Well, considering the size of the universe, I think it's highly unlikely aliens do not exist. Do I believe they've been captured on this video? Not really. Wish I could watch it now, though.
well yea, i'm positive something else is out there, but i can damn well bet ya they arnt wizzin by the space station:lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Would be nice to think there were extra terrestrials flying around us in space, but I highly doubt it's the case.

maybe in a few billion years :) if the sun hasn't exploded...

Although maybe by then we will have finally escaped our flesh suits and moved into hardware. Built in Jet packs. oh yes.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I find it highly unlikely any craft that might actually approach us from another star system would be manned (or being'ed, as it were). The distances that would need to be travelled and the realities of interstellar space would make that unrealistic. I suppose it's possible something robotic sent off ages ago could show up one day; we've sent probes off in various directions.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well if it was travelling fast enough, time would stop for the inhabitants.
That's not actually true. Massive particles and physical objects cannot move at the speed of light. They must always move slower than 'c'. Photons and other massless particles must move at exactly 'c'. Also, you need to keep in mind such time dilation and length contraction is relative to the other observer's frame of reference...not yours. For example, if you could get to a speed where a (solar, earth bound) year appeared to take a week - that week would only be your reference: the start and end points would see the year elapse.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
There was a study published in the last year that essentially confirms this strange behaviour. One of the biggest examples? The people who refuse to believe Barack Obama is a) American-born and b) Christian, despite overwhelming evidence. There are certain people who, when confronted with evidence that refutes their beliefs, tend to believe in their "truth" even more.
It's probably made worse in cases like this where it's such a obscure belief that people are alienated (see what I did there?) by them anyways, so even when shown evidence to the contrary they just get even more defensive and refuse to believe it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's not actually true. Massive particles and physical objects cannot move at the speed of light. They must always move slower than 'c'. Photons and other massless particles must move at exactly 'c'. Also, you need to keep in mind such time dilation and length contraction is relative to the other observer's frame of reference...not yours. For example, if you could get to a speed where a (solar, earth bound) year appeared to take a week - that week would only be your reference: the start and end points would see the year elapse.
but it is possible to make a ship travel at 99.999% the speed of light? traveling at actual speed of light needs infinite thrust or something i think.

I figured the time feels no different to the people in the craft, but time is actually slowing, they just don't perceive it. So isn't it possible to travel say 100 light years in just 5 years, meaning they could travel longer than their lifetime would normally be?

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
but it is possible to make a ship travel at 99.999% the speed of light? traveling at actual speed of light needs infinite thrust or something i think.
It is theoretically possible to get close to c, but particles with mass cannot get to c.

I figured the time feels no different to the people in the craft, but time is actually slowing, they just don't perceive it. So isn't it possible to travel say 100 light years in just 5 years, meaning they could travel longer than their lifetime would normally be?
Again, theoretically yes to the 'travel 100 light years in 5 years time' part, but the 'longer than their lifetime' comes from a vantage point that is not their own and therefore not relevant to them except in an externally observable way. They will not really live longer than their lifetimes; it might appear that way to other observers with a different frame of reference. There's actually a decent old novel called 'the Forever War' by Joe Haldeman that you'd love if you find the idea fascinating. Guys go off to war, fight a few months, and come back centuries later. etc.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I'm sure any advanced civilizations that might be able to make contact with us would likely have figured out more advanced astrophysics than our feeble little brains are capable of figuring out, and are likely bending time and space to travel great distances.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts