Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
autosport.com - NASCAR News: Drivers praise new Daytona surface

Sprint Cup series drivers have given their thumbs-up to the new surface at Daytona International Speedway, following the first test since the repaving of the track was completed.

Driver's consensus was positive on the end result, the track becoming smoother, losing some of its previous bumps and roughness while also gaining a lot of grip. This year's Daytona 500 winner Jamie McMurray said the new pavement has made the track easier to drive and he also praised Goodyear's job with their tyre selection.

"The amount of steering wheel input required now versus what we had here six months ago is maybe half," said the Earnhardt Ganassi driver. "You're not really having to turn the steering wheel because the car has so much grip.

"We joked around before getting on the track that the tyres were just going to be screaming hot. We made our first 15-lap run. When I saw the tyre sheet, I didn't believe the tyres were so cool, maybe close to 75 degrees less than what we expected. So I don't think you're going to see tyres be an issue."
I've highlighted the reasons this 'sport' is so shit. If fatties like Montoya can do well in it, along with a whole host of overweight gasbags who can't drive real cars, why the hell are they making it easier?! Stupid.

[Veteran Jeff Burton] reckons that the chances of seeing more incidents will increase as due to the smoother surface drivers are less afraid of running closer to each other in the draft.
That's bad, not good.

"...We're, what, 196, 197 (mph), in that range? Pretty consistent. But we're doing it with a smaller restrictor plate than we had here. So it's just going to be doing the same speed, but you're doing it in a completely different way. You don't even think about having to lift unless you're trying to keep from wrecking. In the past it was quite a bit of throttle control to keep your car going around the racetrack.
It's official; the Daytona 'Chase' this year will involve no skill whatsoever, simply welding the pedal to the floor and turning left.

Someone please explain why anyone takes this 'sport' seriously? :scratch:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Here. And I'm not even a Nascar fan.

Racing is the pinnacle of sports. All games aspire to the devotion, dedication and sacrifice from their participants as racing enjoys. How many games routinely ask the players to possibly surrender their life and how many players would happily take the chance?

All other sports, when compared to racing, are are merely children's games.

Racing has never been a game but it has always been a sport.

Now I love most sports, except for soccer, and long touchdowns or spectacular dunks or splendid jump shooting bring me great joy.

However, nothing is more exciting than seeing a Cup car scream through a turn at 190 mph, seemingly on a rail.

Closer observation into the cockpit at the driver's hands and what they are doing to keep the car on line is illustrative of the skill involved.

If it looks easy to do it is simply due to the fact that the drivers are so skilled at what they do. You see, its not the driver's job to keep control of the car...that is just not fast enough. The trick is to take the car to out of control and back again in the blink of an eye.

Now consider that the car below you is out of control and the car above you, the car in front of you, behind you...all around you. You are sweating profusely, breathing is heavy and labored but you're too busy to notice. Vision is difficult due to the horrendous vibrations and bumps. Steering and countersteering to keep the car straight and away from disaster. Trail-braking, throttle- steering, compensating continuously just to gain 10 thousands of a second on the other guy. You are always thinking about the next 1000 yds and instinctively reacting to what you see 10 feet away.

You see, golfers for example, require absolute quiet in order to concentrate enough to put a little ball in a hole that is 4 times a big as the ball. Racers can put a 3,400 lbs race car in a hole, barely big enough for it to fit, at 200 thunderous mph.

As for, why race on an oval?

Because it is difficult to do. Most road racers are never able to fully master it. They find they are turning the wheel more often than they have ever had to before.

Most NASCAR racers like the road races they do becuse they are fun to run. They say it is difficult because it is. They are not driving light cars with lots of downforce and ground effects, so its a lot of work but they sure have fun.

Fun, the reason they race. Isn't that what sports is all about?
NASCAR is physically demanding as all hell. I'd like to see you drive 200mph for a few hundred miles a shot with 20+ of your best friends tailgating you, and see if you find it a leisurely activity. ;)

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here. And I'm not even a Nascar fan.

NASCAR is physically demanding as all hell. I'd like to see you drive 200mph for a few hundred miles a shot with 20+ of your best friends tailgating you, and see if you find it a leisurely activity. ;)
I expect a sport so heavily advertised and publicised and made such a deal of to contain more skill than what it does. Maybe I'm spoiled by all my circuit racing where overtaking requires balls as well as tactics and where tackling circuits requires peak physical condition.

The top echelon of a sport is supposed to showcase the best a sport has to offer; if a driver can do the entire race with the throttle down it's not a challenge.

Watch the #20 Home Depot car at 0:43

That's the old Daytona. That shuffling and shaking, at the limits of some already impressive suspension setup, is exactly what drivers should have to deal with, and so much more. Removing one less obstacle, one less mistake for the drivers to make, means they might as well just start putting computers in there to do the racing. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Actually. It's not. Although they would like you to believe it is. Oval racing is more of a mental concentration exercise than the g-force laden experience one gets on a road course. Not to say it's "easier" however. Some special skills are required to do well on superspeedways. But there's also an awful lot of reliance on car setup to be competitive. Which is why you always hear drivers say the "track was coming to me" or "track was going away".

Oval racing in an IndyCar however IS physically demanding because of the ridiculous g-forces those cars generate when cornering. But again, it's special driving skills and reliance on a good setup. Which is why someone like Danica Patrick does well in oval races, but gets completely schooled when the IRL goes to a road course or street circuit.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Actually. It's not. Although they would like you to believe it is. Oval racing is more of a mental concentration exercise than the g-force laden experience one gets on a road course. Not to say it's "easier" however. Some special skills are required to do well on superspeedways. But there's also an awful lot of reliance on car setup to be competitive. Which is why you always hear drivers say the "track was coming to me" or "track was going away".
I'll say it has to take some kind of physical endurance to last 5 hours in a 200 degree vehicle fully clothed with a helmet and fire suit on, and maybe some strength to fight off G-forces that are trying to force you outside into the wall or the guy that is less than an inch away from you, and maybe some sort of reflexes to make a split second decision as you are driving 180+ mph in Rush hour traffic with people blowing tires, losing control of their ride and fighting all of the same conditions around you.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Care to elaborate? :D
Nope. Not with you. You don't exactly have a track record of seeing reason when you decide that one of your opinions is fact.

Go put on fireproof underwear, a fire suit, helmet and gloves and then go sit in a race car that's 140 degrees inside for a few hours, and do a quick 250 - 300 miles of trying to get a car to turn when it wants to go straight. Easy peasy, right?

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Ok before I go any further. Not arguing here. Just pointing out some misconceptions.

I'll say it has to take some kind of physical endurance to last 5 hours in a 200 degree vehicle fully clothed with a helmet and fire suit on,
Which is why the cool-suit was invented.

and maybe some strength to fight off G-forces that are trying to force you outside into the wall or the guy that is less than an inch away from you,
What g-forces? What you described was what the IRL drivers go through. The typical NASCAR car doesn't generate enough downforce to create lateral -G's like that. The biggest g-forces that the driver experiences in a superspeedway are vertical, not horizontal.

and maybe some sort of reflexes to make a split second decision as you are driving 180+ mph in Rush hour traffic with people blowing tires, losing control of their ride and fighting all of the same conditions around you.
If you think the drivers out there are driving cars that are constantly trying to kill them. Youve been watching too much Days of Thunder then.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I didn't know you were an F1 fanboy, Tony. :fawk:

:wub: I just don't see it being the relaxing Sunday drive that Stitch seems to think that it is. ;)

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Go put on fireproof underwear, a fire suit, helmet and gloves and then go sit in a race car that's 140 degrees inside for a few hours, and do a quick 250 - 300 miles of trying to get a car to turn when it wants to go straight. Easy peasy, right?
V8 supercar drivers in Australia have to work in even hotter climates, and the ones that have entered NASCAR have done well. And they have to turn right as well as left... :shrug: Can't say the same for nascar drivers venturing down under. To say that the heat makes it difficult is a bit odd since countless other disciplines work in similar-to-worse conditions (F1 around Bahrain/Melbourne, anyone?) and they have to perform just as long under much higher body stresses.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

:wub: I just don't see it being the relaxing Sunday drive that Stitch seems to think that it is. ;)
I'm not saying it's a relaxing Sunday drive :lol: I'm saying that for a premier racing championship it should feature more challenges than just being able to last a few hours in heat with a few other cars - almost every other racing discipline has to deal with that AND difficult corners that want to throw the car off the track AND bumpy track surfaces that are trying to unsettle the cars AND walls AND other drivers who want past you, and most of these don't have space for drivers to go three- or four-abreast around each corner. :D

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I'm not saying it's a relaxing Sunday drive :lol: I'm saying that for a premier racing championship it should feature more challenges than just being able to last a few hours in heat with a few other cars - almost every other racing discipline has to deal with that AND difficult corners that want to throw the car off the track AND bumpy track surfaces that are trying to unsettle the cars AND walls AND other drivers who want past you, and most of these don't have space for drivers to go three- or four-abreast around each corner. :D
Stitch don't be an asshole and recognize the challenges of NASCAR. I mean, in F1, the courses are very difficult, and the drivers are absurdly precise, but in NASCAR half of the field is drunk. You tell me that isn't a challenge.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
not sure how the "hotter climates" thing comes into play when they get clean air in their car and the nascar guys get the fumes from the guy 2" in front of them lol

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts

:lol:

Oh it's definitely not as easy as it looks. But at the same time, its definitely not the most difficult form of motorsport that has the "best drivers in the world" as I always hear them say on the FOX broadcasts.

For me, that still goes to the WRC drivers. Who are just flat out crazy and take some unacceptable risks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts