·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Jesus. :lol:

·
Bringer of, Satan Ants
3,384 Posts
Nothing new here folks.
I have been pwning n00bs with a rail gun in Quake 3 for years. ;)

Mach 8. :yesway:
I better be finding 1 of these bad boys under my tree Xmas morning.
Those Satan ants will not know what the fuck is going on. :yesway:

Side questions.
What is the projectile made from?

And what is the melting point of the projectile?

Anything cutting through the air at mach 8 is going to get rather warm very quickly, I would assume.
Like a shuttle on re-entry.
I heard the scram jet experiments were burning up/ melting at around mach 6 if i recall correctly.

Rail guns. :cool:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
My best friend is in the Canadian Navy, he should talk to them.. :lol:

·
sex. murder. art.
522 Posts
The big problem with railguns is the fact you're shoving currents in the mega-amp range through sliding contacts, which tends to eat the (expensive!) heavy copper rails rather quickly and limits how far you can scale them up. I imagine they'll have to be replaced pretty frequently with this system, perhaps even every 20-25 shots or so.

In addition, shorter rails necessitate higher peak currents (making the energy storage system tougher to build) but you can't make the rails too long without adding so much inductance that your voltage rings up high enough to arc across them, and that necessitates a wider rail spacing and therefore a fatter projectile. Sabot rounds would also be tricky because the currents involved would just weld the sabot sections together so they wouldn't break away correctly. You could use what's called a plasma armature (basically an electric arc between the rails generating massive overpressure which pushes the projectile along) but the arc would melt the rails even faster.

A coilgun / mass driver setup (where magnetic coils are triggered in sequence to pull a projectile along a barrel) would probably be more effective and longer-lasting for the purpose of making something truly insane (read: shooting things into orbit), but this certainly is an impressive step in Afghan-wedding-party-blowing-up technology. :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
A coilgun / mass driver setup (where magnetic coils are triggered in sequence to pull a projectile along a barrel) would probably be more effective and longer-lasting for the purpose of making something truly insane (read: shooting things into orbit),
You mean like a Gauss rifle?

but this certainly is an impressive step in Afghan-wedding-party-blowing-up technology. :lol:
:lol::lol::lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts