Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Birthday Bass Day! Ibanez BTB1006e. :D

This bass was owned by W.L. Gore for Elixir string testing, and was taken care of pretty much perfectly. It could be new out of the box except for very minor cosmetic imperfections.

Been eyeing this for about a month, and walked out of the store for $500 including the case and a new set of Elixirs. I've never owned a bass before, and I would have been happy with a 5-string, but I couldn't pass that kind of deal up.

The pickups are pretty wicked, BTB (by the by... see what I did there?) Two Bartolini soapbars with 3-band EQ, blend knob and volume, with a 3-way selector for mid frequency adjustment.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Nice lookin ass, er, bass, sir!

I think Ibby makes an oddball half-fretless version of that, where the low 4 strings are fretted, and the top two aren't. Neat stuff.

Either way, that is 'ze sex. I have a couple of AFX bass patches if you want 'em.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Very pretty. Awesome basses.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She just loves having her picture taken... naughty girl. Look at her. All coy in the shower.

Chris: do want patches! May save me some tweakin' time. :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
And with that picture + comment combo, I think we have entered a whole new realm of creepy... :ugh:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Did you play Bass before or are you just going straight for the six string? If so, that is bad ass :metal:

Also, on the topic of half fretted half fretless instruments

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Also, if dialing in an Ampeg SVT in the AFX is like the real thing, it's not too hard. Just keep in mind most of the actual grit comes from the power section in one of those, the preamp is very very clean. Also, it tends to "scoop" a little bit and get bright at higher gain settings, which is normally countered by the mid-forward 8x10 cab.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Did you play Bass before or are you just going straight for the six string? If so, that is bad ass :metal:

Also, on the topic of half fretted half fretless instruments
The Ibby I'm talkin' about isn't half fretted like that - it has no frets at all on the high B/E (or however the hell you tune a 6 string bass) and 24 on the lower 4.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks dudes! I have lots of excuses for not recording and practicing lately, but I carefully cropped out the destruction that is the rest of my room while they fix my drywall. :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Sweet bass. I love the older BTBs... i don't like how they re-contoured the upper horn a year or two ago.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here 'tis. Sorry for the partial derail, Soop. Ibanez Ashula.
No, that's fuckin' pretty AND educational. I'm surprised Ibanez ever produced something that wacky. Very neat.

Sweet bass. I love the older BTBs... i don't like how they re-contoured the upper horn a year or two ago.
Josh and I had this conversation a few weeks back. He pointed me in this direction right before I stumbled across this naughty lass. :bowdown:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
BTW, how are you tuning it Soop? Might I reccomend ADGCFBb?
Uhh, why?

BEADGC (or BEADGB if he feels like being a guitarist about it) should work just fine. I never understood why a bassist (even a soloist) would want that many higher strings at the expense of the lower ones.

EDIT: For some reason I thought you were advocating adding three higher strings. I was like, wtf? :scratch:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW, how are you tuning it Soop? Might I reccomend ADGCFBb?
Whole step down? I'm leaving it in standard for now, might drop it a half step to match my band at some point. It's a 35" scale, but the low string that's on it seems floppy to me compared to the rest of the set at B, so I'm loathe to tune it lower for now.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts