Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at the beginning of the year I decided I needed a 5 string Precision in my life, I wanted something classic but I wanted to give it a very modern feel, inspired somewhat by the Roger Waters signature Precision but with more black and active soapbars. Since there seems to be two options for P5s, the discontinued Squier Vintage Modified and the Fender American Professional, I went and tried some Fenders and whilst they're great basses (and come in the correct colour, black) they cost a LOT of money for something I was going to do a massive amount of modification to. So, with that in mind I decided to take a risk on buying the Squier, managed to snag one off of ebay for a pretty decent price:

I'd read a great deal about these on TalkBass and people love these so I felt fairly confident about getting it. I played it for a couple of days and I've gotta say, whilst the American Fender is the nicer instrument stock, there really isn't a lot in it certainly not £1200 difference! The real problem is it's red, can't own a red guitar...

Anyway, I was happy to push on and invest more money than I paid for the bass on modifications now I was happy that it was a quality instrument.

The plan was to get it Painted black, swap all the hardware for black hardware and get it routed for a couple of EMG Soapbars (DC in the bridge and P in the neck) and a single ply matte black pickguard, none more black. I would normally get Mattayus to do shit like this for me but he didn't have the tools for the it, fortunately the place I was getting the pickups from had a tech who said he could do it and the painting, jobs a gudden. So after having the bass for about 4 days I disassembled it, gave the body to the shop and the neck to Mattayus to work his magic.

And so I waited...

And waited...

Then I waited some more, I waited for about 4 months for my pickups from EMG having to chase the bloke in the shop who gave me no updates, no ETA unless I emailed him first. I was losing my mind waiting for this as Matt will tell you. :lol:

Finally (after I emailed the bloke) it was done, I turned up in the shop to collect it and was presented with this:

"Very nice" I said "But one problem... It's red still"

Idiot had forgotten he'd said he'd paint it. :facepalm:

So I gave it to him again and he said he'd paint it, I asked how long it would take he said "well, we're not waiting for any parts anymore..." decidedly not an answer... I'm sure it'll be fine...

So, after no updates and having to chase him for updates again, after several weeks it was ready...

This is what I received:

Needless to say, I wasn't happy. :lol: I paid for the pickups and left with my shonky bass body. Fortunately, Matt had found someone local who could competently re-re-finish it.

He even provided some progress pictures, apparently the last guy put it on way too thick:

Apparently he didn't properly remove the finish either:

Primer:

And Fin:

And so the reconstruction begins! I managed to grab some Charvel knobs (thanks to Chris!) which really ties it together I think. :agreed:

Matt also made a Graphite nut from scratch for me since the white one would look a bit out of place with all that black. :lol:

And Fin:

I'm fucking chuffed with it, I honestly think it's now better than the American P5 I tried at the beginning of the year, it's perfect for me, plays absolutely amazingly (cheers Matt!), tone for days and is really nice and weighty. I have it wired up vol/vol but I need to find out if anyone makes a 3-way rotary pot.

I'll get Matt to do clips, he plays way more palatable music than I. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
What a tale! That came out fucking awesome man - glad that I could help and be part of the story in a small way. :lol:

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers dude, honestly it just wouldn't look right without those knobs (seemingly all the black flat top knobs look cheap as fuck) so I can't thank you enough for getting them to me. :metal:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Had I known the backstory, I'd have mailed you a set of red ones a couple days in advance of the real ones. :lol:

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
That looks incredible. Congrats.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Wow, that came out great!

How well does the B string play? That's the most common criticism I've read about Fender's 5-string versions of their classic basses--that the B strings are floppy and mushy (since they kept the 34-inch scale). In my own experience, it's weird how the clarity on the B string can vary wildly from bass to bass, regardless of the scale length.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Man, drag finish guy #1's name through the fucking mud for that atrocity :eek: dear lord.

End product is a banger :yesway: - though my brain wants to see RW on there so bad :lol:

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, that came out great!

How well does the B string play? That's the most common criticism I've read about Fender's 5-string versions of their classic basses--that the B strings are floppy and mushy (since they kept the 34-inch scale). In my own experience, it's weird how the clarity on the B string can vary wildly from bass to bass, regardless of the scale length.
It's as good as any 34" scale bass I've played, certainly better than my Ibanez SR, the EMGs help a lot though as it was a bit muddy when I added distortion (as I tend to do for my band) when it was stock. The string trees apparently add a bit of clarity according to people on talk bass, but it's been so long since I had it in it's original state that I can't remember if this is true or not, they look cool though. :lol:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I have played a lot of 34" 5 strings and for me I HAVE to have a .130 for the B otherwise its mush city.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
That's gorgeous. I'm sure it sucked while it was going on, but that story makes it all the cooler to own.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
This bass has certainly got a story, that's for sure. It's an absolute beast though, and was a pleasure to work on. The neck is so comfortable, it's got great attack and a really nice springy tone. As soon as I strung it up and hit that low B I knew you'd be happy with it, it was so clear and tight.

My least favourite part was making that graphite nut :lol: Bone might be brittle, but fuck me is it easy to work with compared to graphite... That shit just will not cut or sand very easily, and I had to whittle down a massive block to make that skinny fucking thing! Definitely worth it though, looks much better, not to mention functions better.

Now for me to completely copy you and do the same to a 4 string version...

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Man, that thing came out looking great, but that first refinish was pretty haggard. :lol:

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man, that thing came out looking great, but that first refinish was pretty haggard. :lol:
I kinda got the feeling he was out of his depth and perhaps freaking out about fucking it up, I'd honestly have been more forgiving had he been up front with me and had better communication.

This thing is offensively good looking though, when I'm not playing it I'm looking at pictures of it... :lol:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts