Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Very nice indeed! I was actually gawping at one of these over at Denmark Street yesterday...

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice! How's the action on it? My gf's SR500 is pretty low :yesway:
It's awesome! I had a Rogue 406 before and that had action a mile high.

You going with B through C?
No, just A to A. Standard down a whole step :yesway:

AWESOME! Been gassing for a 505 for the longest time!
505's are sweet, but can almost be neck heavy in my experience.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
:agreed: Minor thirds in your bass's tuning are for guitarists who have no idea what they're doing :D

And Bass VIs, which this is not.

The standard tuning down a whole step would be A D G C F Bb ;)

Trust me, it makes it much easier to play the sort of patterns and lines that a bassist plays, since you're not doing open chords.

Reactions: Nyarlath

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:agreed: Minor thirds in your bass's tuning are for guitarists who have no idea what they're doing :D

And Bass VIs, which this is not.

The standard tuning down a whole step would be A D G C F Bb ;)

Trust me, it makes it much easier to play the sort of patterns and lines that a bassist plays, since you're not doing open chords.
+rep!!! I seriously didn't know this :shrug: I'm not a bassist at heart :D

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
^Your heart doesn't matter if you're playing bass in a band. :D You should just... K N O W.

Standard bass tunings are always all the same intervals (generally all perfect fourths - BEADGC in standard and ADGCFBb in whole step down). Like Josh said, the reason is that you don't play full chords on the strings of a bass like you do on a guitar, so a major third interval would be more of a liability than anything else.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Although I play a 4-string now, I prefer guitar tuning on a 6-string, regardless of what "real" bassists do. The point is to make it easier for me to play my bass, not for some theoretical bassist to play my bass. Having to give extra thought to fingering conversion while I'm playing seems counterproductive, and I don't find the fingering in "guitar standard" to be difficult on a 6-string bass.

What's difficult for me is those ungodly wide necks on 6-string basses.

BTW, nice Ibanez! I almost bought one of those when I was jonesing for a 6-string for awhile. They really sound and play much better than anything else I've tried in that price range.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
^ That's definitely the goal, to make it easier to play. I just like not having to worry about that minor third when running scales, octaves, and the like.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
:lol:

Theory nazi.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honestly, I was at a pawn shop looking at basses and the 6 string one was the most affordable for me at the time :lol: It just stuck and was actually tuned the guitarist way instead of the bassist way.

^Your heart doesn't matter if you're playing bass in a band. You should just... K N O W.
Yep, this I now know :lol

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Honestly, I was at a pawn shop looking at basses and the 6 string one was the most affordable for me at the time :lol:
Same exact thing happened to me in the music store. I would genuinely be happier with a 5-string bass because the 6-string neck is just as bad on my hands as an 8-string guitar neck was. It works though, and I got a steal on my Ibanez. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts