Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking for a 5 string, and the was the coolest thing i found locally, as all the BTBs i was looking at were overpriced.

I found it in the back of the Tampa Guitar Center with the action about 3 miles high, and a Low B string that was so fucked up that it wouldn't stay in tune for more than a minute or two. So i talked them into giving me some free strings if i bought the thing.

After lowering the action, changing the strings, adjusting the trussrod and re-intonating the thing, it plays awesome.

The only downside is the fact that its a 34" scale. I was really hoping for a 35" 5 string. However, i have a .145 string on order, so we'll see if that solves the problem.

Anyway, here's the specs:

-Luthite body
-Maple Neck
-Ebanol fretboard
-27 frets
-Bartolini MKI Pickup
-3 band active EQ
-Slap Switch (When activated, scoops mids for better popping sound)
-Gain adjustments on back

not bad for 239$.

Plus, look at the fucking cutaway on that thing! You can get your entire fist past the highest fret! lol

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, good to hear.

As an aside, I've noticed that the same problem that plagues seven string guitarists also bothers 5 string bassists. The fucking Low B's the put in the package are too fucking light!

I was looking at the tensions, and the D string in a Daddario pack of 45-130 has like, 42 lbs of tension, then the E string has 34 and the B string has 32! What the fuck? And after going to, like, 5 stores locally in town, and calling a few more, no one has anything bigger than a 130! When i played 7's, i could just use bass strings. But now as a bassist, there's no bigger, lower tuned instrument to steal strings from!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
They had the 4-string version of that in the exact same color at the GC in Brooklyn... with the same issue. I guess no one knows how to work a truss rod.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Awesome, good to hear.

As an aside, I've noticed that the same problem that plagues seven string guitarists also bothers 5 string bassists. The fucking Low B's the put in the package are too fucking light!

I was looking at the tensions, and the D string in a Daddario pack of 45-130 has like, 42 lbs of tension, then the E string has 34 and the B string has 32! What the fuck? And after going to, like, 5 stores locally in town, and calling a few more, no one has anything bigger than a 130! When i played 7's, i could just use bass strings. But now as a bassist, there's no bigger, lower tuned instrument to steal strings from!
I noticed the same thing too on my 5-string bass, I ended up just ordering five single strings from D'Addario's website. 145 FTW :yesway:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See, with guitar, I love slightly thicker strings and even tension (my favourite 6-string set being a custom 10.5-49 set), but on my bass, I love the standard 130 5-string set, and I love the strings rattling around all nasty-like :lol:
Do you pick or play with fingers?

I wouldnt mind a 130 if i used a pick, but using fingers requires a drastic change in technique to make the B not sound like a sack of assholes :lol:

·
18,790 Posts
Do you pick or play with fingers?

I wouldnt mind a 130 if i used a pick, but using fingers requires a drastic change in technique to make the B not sound like a sack of assholes :lol:
Both, but even with my finger-style playing, I've never had a problem with the differing tension. :shrug: But then, I prefer a thick-ish neck and slightly higher action, too. For some reason, I like to have to fight with the bass a bit. I'm just an oddball that way :lol: I've played my buddy's Ibanez SR something-or-other a bunch, and a lot of other really nice playing basses that practically play themselves they're so smooth, and yet I feel I play my best on my Fender with far-from-perfect setup :lol:

·
Volvo Mis-Enthusiast
800 Posts
I hate the way my dad's 4 string curt "balances" while sitting down. :noway:

I use a .145 for low G#, and I play with a pick... :noway:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I have the 6 string version of this with a Bartolini, which has been my main guitar since I bought it at Mars Music :)rofl:) back in about 2000. Amazing guitars for the price and the design is just plain friggin' cool looking.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts