Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya'll remember i got that curbow 5, right? Well, there was this auction I was watching the mean time. If it stayed under about 230$, it'd be about the same price as after shipping that Curbow i bought was, plus tax, etc. I figured if i could get a Japanese BTB for the same price as the Curbow, I'd return the Curbow and buy the BTB.

SO it i threw in a bid at 230$, and won it for 227. Why is this a big deal? This isn't a BTB 305, the new, cheap, shitty BTB made in indonesia, like the auction would lead you to believe.

Its a 2001 Japanese made BTB515WNF. The serial is: F0100101. Really early model :yesway: These were around 900$ new. I used to own a regular BTB 500, and it was the coolest bass I'd ever owned. This is the exact same thing, with one extra string, and at a killer price. On top of that, unlike the auction said, it didn't come with a gig bag. It came with a TKL Hardshell case. :metal:

The only downside is whoever owned it before had the low B & E strings strung up with round wounds, and the A, D & G strings strung with flat wounds.

Other than that, fucking awesome.

auction pics attached, cause my camera is packed up right now.

Quick question: This bass has two truss rods. Do I adjust them in unison or do they get adjusted per side of the fretboard?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice score! Great lookin' bass. :yesway:
Yeah, the biggest influence in my decision was simply that the Curbow, as awesome as it was, was a 34" scale, and for tuning down to B, I really wanted that extra 1" for tightness. It delivers in spades. Threw a .145 on the Low B, plus the extra tension already, it feels great. Its like having a .065 on your Low B on a 7!

Drew -- Thanks! :yesway:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool stuff. I always liked the look of the neckthru BTBs, but their tone never did much for me. The bolt-ons sound nice, though.
They made the neckthrough ones out of a variety of woods. the 400 series was Basswood with a maple veneer (Ew). The 600 and 700 series are ash with poplar tops (if they have tops). The cheaper ones are agathis.

The series I have, the 500 series were either Mahogany or ash, depending on the model. The particular one i have is the Mahogany one. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Welcome to the I Stole an Instrument in September club! :woohoo:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the I Stole an Instrument in September club! :woohoo:
Yeah, man. I don't really like Ibanez guitars at all anymore. However, their higher end basses are awesome. The higher end BTBs, the Soundgear Prestige, etc. are all actually very solid instruments and their prices aren't nearly as exorbitant as the guitar line. If i were to end up getting a 6 string bass, it'd definitely be a BTB.

Also, I still want a Conklin groove tools 5 string and another Curbow 5. That Curbow was too fucking cool. Aside from the short scale length (If i got another, I'd put a high C string on it, like Steve DiGiorgio), its the other coolest fucking bass I've ever had the chance to get around to playing.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jesus that's a good deal :yesway: Those are definitely some sweet basses, and the only Ibanez basses I'd consider owning (the SRs are great for what they are, but are so absolutely wrong for me :lol: ).
Japanese BTB = My first choice on bass, easily. Which is strange, considering how much i dislike Ibanez nowdays. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.