Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i kinda got tired of working on the myung. The fretboard buzzing i couldnt get rid of was pissing me off, and I just wanted a bass to play, and not fuck around with.

December 23rd happened and my wife decided to spring christmas early. If you guys remember my old blue Curbow that I got a few months back from Guitar Center Tampa right before moving, it returned to visit me once again. When I got the Ibanez I had, I wished I would have stayed with the Curbow -- the Ibanez had a dead Bb at the 6th fret. tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it. No dice. So I sold it, and got the Myung that I had for a while. It was pretty much done, aside from that fret buzz i mentioned earlier. It angered me. So I sold it. Even made a little money it. Both the Ibanez and the Myung, actually. Helped pay some bills. :yesway:.

Anyway, right after I Sold the myung, my wife said I should check the guitar stand in my little den area. There was my old curbow. Same one. Same setup, same battery, same strings, same everything as from when I owned it back in August. CRAZY. I tuned it up to DGCFBb, and I couldn't be happier with it. I love the tone of it, everything.

At the same time this was happening, I found a FRETLESS 5 string Curbow (Havent been made in about 7-8 years now) on Craigslist in San Fran. I asked if they guy would ship. Sure enough. So today, my fretless Curbow showed up as well. I got it for $165+Shipping. Holy Fuck. :yesway:. It still needs to be intonated, but everything else is good. Came with some Elixir's on it, too. Pretty new feeling. 50$ Strings :yesway:.

I'm not sure if I should tune the fretless EADGC or leave it BEADG.

I lurves me some Curbows.

Pics:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Those Curbow basses have one of the best photo-burl finishes i've ever seen. They're pretty cool basses.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those Curbow basses have one of the best photo-burl finishes i've ever seen. They're pretty cool basses.
I dunno that its a photo-burl. Its more like a swirl finish, kinda. Not sure. They do them in white and gray, as well.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
That thing is awesome. Also interesting how the fretless is scarf jointed and the fretted is 3 piece. Love Curbows.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
It's a photo-burl. I've looked at them up close. :)
Depends on the year and market; they did bizarre metallic swirl finishes and wood effect swirl finishes along with gravure tops. :yesway:

Wicked instruments, love how they hug you like a frightened child - so comfortable.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That thing is awesome. Also interesting how the fretless is scarf jointed and the fretted is 3 piece. Love Curbows.
All the curbows from around 2002 and earlier were scarf jointed, regardless. They also had Mighty Mite bass pickups. from 02-05 they were 3 pieces with bartolinis. from around 07 to now, they're 3 pieces with volutes and the tuning pegs are black.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:lol:

Working on learning Overactive Imagination. That song is a motherfucker on bass.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

More obscurant covers as well.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The thing thats fucking me up the worst is that after playing basses that were fretted bass that got defretted (the myung, my old shitty 4 string). So, I'm used to the fret dots being off centered from where the notes are. On the curbow, the dots are right where the notes are. :lol:

·
I measure things
1,917 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but -

Am I to understand that your wife got you the original for Christmas? Your wife did this?

All my wife does (regarding instruments) is bitch about how I need to stop buying more.

Whatever you do, don't EVER lose that wife. Maybe should could talk to mine (talk some sense into her)?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts