Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to start looking for an RG550 on Craigslist recently... So there I am, doing my due diligence...

What the fuck?

$150 for an 89 RG570? :scream2:

Email commences immediately

Get the call, it's actually $150! :eek:

Grabbed my keys

Spotted my car

Fired up some Kataklysm

Threats of bad weather won't stop me!

Low fuel might though...

Traffic :scream::scream::scream::scream:

45 minutes of that shit :facemelt: Finally let up... 'Murica, FUCK YEAH!

So I don't have any pics of the handoff or anything, but needless to say, I shut up and he took my money.

Guitar:

The reason he was letting it go for so little is because he had already sold it once on eBay but it arrived damaged. He made an insurance claim and got the guitar and his money back so he'd already been paid for it once. Pretty upstanding to let it go for so cheap. Yesterday I saw it listed for $450, I'm guessing no one bit.

Thing plays immaculately. Frets were recently leveled, the electronics work and sound great (and aren't microphonic like I'm used to the old 570 pickups being). The trem is in fantastic shape, the rosewood is nice and dark and well oiled. It's got the typical cracks old RG's get (neck joint, locking nut). Most importantly, it's beat up! It's a perfect beater guitar, and at $150 I couldn't say no. I'll probably swap the pickups but I'm really enjoying this thing. Anneka said I'm like a big kid with a new toy :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
You asked the wrong question, "Is the price a typo?"

You should have asked, "Can I smoke the crack you are selling this to buy with you?"

Nice score, awesome color.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are 2 spots of new damage I see. Where the neck meets the body on the face of the guitar is a chip, I'm guessing the neck got hit in shipping and it chipped the finish, and the tip of the headstock is chipped a bit. None of it matters to me though!

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Adam was giving me the play-by-play via Facebook chat when he was on the phone with the guy. I chided him about asking if the price was a typo as well. ;)

Play the fuck out of it!

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have played it a bit already. Anneka is over right now though, we're watching Game of Thrones :lol: I got the Guthrie Govan books too, so I'll have plenty to play on it!

I didn't even realize till I posted this that he'd had it listed since March!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I got the Guthrie Govan books too, so I'll have plenty to play on it!
Do yourself a favor and just burn them. I was just texting with Drew, saying how ever since the Wilson show, everything I play bores the fuck out of me. Then I watch/read some Guthrie, and I feel even worse. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Awesome!

Also you might want to blur out your email address in those photos :lol:

·
One-Two-Nine-Five
598 Posts
Mismatched trem cover. 2/10, would not buy.

Kidding of course man, that's fucking killer.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I had an RG550 in that exact same colour and to this day it's the only guitar I really regret selling. Still kicking myself for it because it just played so nicely. I've had 3 RG550's since and none have been the same.

Congrats, that's score of the month! :yesway:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I feel like a kid again playing this thing. Been jamming on it unplugged a lot this morning and it's just fantastic on every level. I also opened up the cavities, it doesn't appear to have ever had a pickup change, whoever owned this for some reason stuck with the V2/S1/V1 all the way since 89 :lol: The neck pocket looks great, was almost expecting to see damage but everything is good. I've got a Duncan Custom I think that I can toss in the bridge (or whatever that pickup I got from Greg in the lilac Strat was), I may do that when I get back to Austin on Sunday. I haven't played this much in years.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts