Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll let the photos speak for themselves:

Wow!

Those brushed nickel covers are soooo sexy. I'm working on getting a whole set of brushed/satin hardware to match.

The Aftermaths are going in a mahogany guitar, and the Nailbombs (ceramic bridge) are going in ash. A lot of guys are into the whole mixy-matchy thing, but the gentlemen at Bare Knuckle do calibrated sets that work well together, and who knows their product better than they do? I trust their knowledge and guidance.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
:yum: Curious to hear what you think about the Aftermath. The soundclips on the BKP site make it sound hyper-clinical, reminding me a bit of my Evo7.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Those covers are gorgeous!:yesway::yesway::yesway:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Aftermaths are going in a guitar that's got a 1-piece figured mahogany body, so i was looking for something really tight and punchy. The Nailbombs are going in an ash guitar and i think they'll sound great in that, based on my previous experience with Nailbombs.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Those sound like solid choices. You had alnico Nailbombs a while back, right? I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on how the ceramic version compares.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
I totally agree about not mixing and matching BKPs. Every calibrated set I have owned and Reyes out worked extremely well together.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought you didnt like BKPs?
I quite liked how open, dynamic and "stringy" the Alnico Nailbombs sounded in my Dean, but they seemed to lack punch in mahogany, so i really don't think they were the right pickups for that guitar. I felt at the time that they'd be much more suited to ash, where they'd round out the bottom end a bit more, whereas in mahogany they sounded a little too soft in the lower mids and bass frequencies. That's why i ordered a set to try in the Ash AMX i have on the go.

The Aftermaths intrigue me because they're a real over-the-top intense pickup, but with them being scatterwound like the rest of the BKP line, they should have a bit more springiness and dynamic range than most other super-hot pickups of that type. I have a feeling they'll sound spectacular in mahogany.

I'm keeping an open mind and keeping some options open for various pickups in my guitars. Lots of people want BKPs and i now have a trade account with them, so i can offer them as an upgrade.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I totally agree about not mixing and matching BKPs. Every calibrated set I have owned and Reyes out worked extremely well together.
I always use 2 different bkp's, but i also look for different things. My bridge pup is my metal pup, my neck pup is for cleans though.
But i would go with matched for consistancy if i was your average player.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
I find most BKP neck pickups to work quite well for cleans. I have even had Miracle Man and Warpig sets and the cleans on the neck were quite good. Their neck pickups can be quite deceiving. Most people look at the warpig and see it's massive output so they think the neck will be similar when that is totally not true. It is super warm and fat sounding. I used to have the same way of thinking as you. Such as running cold sweat neck pickups with other bkps but once I tried a calibrated set I found that what Darren said is absolutely true. The guys at BKP know their stuff.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I find most BKP neck pickups to work quite well for cleans. I have even had Miracle Man and Warpig sets and the cleans on the neck were quite good. Their neck pickups can be quite deceiving. Most people look at the warpig and see it's massive output so they think the neck will be similar when that is totally not true. It is super warm and fat sounding. I used to have the same way of thinking as you. Such as running cold sweat neck pickups with other bkps but once I tried a calibrated set I found that what Darren said is absolutely true. The guys at BKP know their stuff.
True dat. :lol:

I ended up going with q-tuners for my neck pups anyway. For what i use it for, the q-tuner beat out the bkp neck pups i'v used

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BKP calibrate their neck pickups so the pickups work together nicely and don't have a jarring difference between them. They're not voiced the same... they're voiced to work together.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Very nice Darren :yesway:

I had an alnico Nailbomb (b) & Cold Sweat (n) combo in my ash bodied Tele 7, which is possibly the nicest sounding guitar I've owned. The Nailbomb bridge especially had a nice fat crunch to it that worked very well for metal rhythm, but also worked well for anything else you wanted to throw at it. My black KXK had a ceramic Nailbomb neck pickup which was very good too, matched to a Warpig bridge. It's the same set I got the camo covers on recently which I need get into my RG7. They worked very well in the KXK (big KXK-sig maple neck blank with mahognay wings), so I'll be interested to hear how different they sound in my alder bodied RG.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts