Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, only seems like a couple of months since I last bought a car :lol:

Turns out the Mondeo is a total dog, it only just scraped through the MOT and needs too much work in the nest 6 months. Plus I have plans to ditch my work van and claim mileage instead to give me more cash, which means I need a diesel. But, I love my fast cars, so what to go for?

A 2003 Vauxhall Signum 3.0CDTi Elite! Diesel for economy, yet fast thanks to an Isuzu-sourced 3litre V6 turbo-diesel engine. Currently pumps out 174bhp, but a cheap chip will see that at 220bhp with about 470Nm of tourque. That's about 350lb.ft for those still in Imperial.

Bit of an odd beast the Signum, it'd based on a Vectra estate floorpan, but with a shorter hatchback rear end. Adds up to a car with a longer wheelbase than the Vectra hatch (and thus more rear legroom), but not a vast as the estate. Individual tilt/slide rear seat too.

Being the range topping Elite it's rather spec'd, but it's still not got every option by a long shot. Even so, it's still packing Xenon head lights with washers, sat nav, cruise control, electric heated & folding mirrors, auto-dip rearview mirror, electric leather heated seats, climate control, the most amazing sounding stereo I've ever heard in a car, built in sunblinds in the back (good for the nipper) and tyre pressure monitors.

Anyway, looks like this:

Lots of storage in the roof:

Travel assistant too:

For those wondering WTF a travel assistant is, it's a mini fridge, drinks holder, storage box, dvd player holder combined, plus it has two fold out picnic tables :lol:

Couple of minor niggles to sort out, but they'll cost about £600 to sort. Still, when you bag the car for £2500 instead of £4000, who's to complain :yesway: Oh, and I bought from a dealer this time, so it has a warranty :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Nice! It looks like it'll swallow a lot of gear as well. How does the rear hatch open? does the lower part swing down?

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Dude, that's a pretty damn spec'd car! For under 5K too!

Congrats man :yesway:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Nice snatch dude, those really aren't too common these days.

Although, and I'm sorry to say this, they've managed to make a car even fouler than the Vectra. :lol: That's fucking hideous. :lol:

Where did it all go wrong? :(

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I love british cars. :lol:

Congrats!

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
looks nice man but you should have gotten a 1.9 turbo diesel astra though :lol: you know I'll keep bugging you guys forever to get one lol

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice! It looks like it'll swallow a lot of gear as well. How does the rear hatch open? does the lower part swing down?
Cheers dude. The rear seats shift forwards about 4" too, so the boot can get massive. Not as cavernous as the Vectra estate though, you could hold a gig in the back of one of those :lol:

Dude, that's a pretty damn spec'd car! For under 5K too!

Congrats man :yesway:
Vauxhall have a bit of an odd image over here, awesome sports models but everything else is regarded as a bit "old man". Great cars, plus big depreciation means bargains like this :yesway:

Although, and I'm sorry to say this, they've managed to make a car even fouler than the Vectra. :lol: That's fucking hideous. :lol:
Signums are marmite. I used to dislike them myself, then when I got my Vectra GSi (remember that anyone?) I joined a forum for Vectras & Signums. Once I saw how well speced and versatile they were I changed my mind.

That is very clean for a 03' :agreed:
Yep. Been machine polished too, so it really gleams :cool:

looks nice man but you should have gotten a 1.9 turbo diesel astra though :lol: you know I'll keep bugging you guys forever to get one lol
Er, no! Astra's are too small for me, plus you can get the 1.9 in the Signum too. But the 3.0 has more torque and is much more driveable. In gear acceleration in 3rd & 4th is ballistic. 6 speed box too.

I'll never get used to seeing cars with the driver's seat on the other side :lol: It's like lefty guitars, it just looks strange to me :lol:
Now you know how I feel seeing left hookers :lol:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Speaking of my old Vectra, I'm totally grabbing a set of the wheels I had on that for the Signum:

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Er, no! Astra's are too small for me, plus you can get the 1.9 in the Signum too. But the 3.0 has more torque and is much more driveable. In gear acceleration in 3rd & 4th is ballistic. 6 speed box too.
Yeah that amount of torque is crazy, must go like crazy.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
That car is sweet as fuck! I'd love to grab one of the 03-09 Astra estates in the next year or so. Strangely enough, one of the 1.9 turbo diesel engined ones :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Fuck, that looks a lot like my '06 Malibu Maxx:

...only cooler :(

:lol:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That car is sweet as fuck! I'd love to grab one of the 03-09 Astra estates in the next year or so. Strangely enough, one of the 1.9 turbo diesel engined ones :lol:
Yeah, the 1.9 is a damn fine engine. It's Fiat sourced and is extremely tuneable. Just go for the 150bhp 16v version, the 120bhp 8v is a bit of a slug. I'd originally intended to get a 1.9 16v, but the V6 was just too tempting :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Man, I am so jealous of the European market. The styling alone is miles ahead of American cars.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts