Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today marked the day of the structural completion of my first prototype cabinet.

I didn't want to make it out of anything expensive since it's a prototype and it's my first real go at woodwork. It's made from MDF. If everything goes to plan, I'm hoping to have this tolexed, handled, castored and grilled by the end of next week, and speakers hopefully the week after. I'm currently debating whether to go with metal grille or cloth grille, and white or black tolex.

I'm hoping to start experimenting a bit more with finger jointing the edges and maybe ported cabinets in the near future. I'll get more pics later. If I can start becoming happier with my products, I might think about starting to make and sell these. One as a basic product, and one as a custom option. There may also be 2 of us working on them, and they'll be built to order. However, that's a mere dream at the moment.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
good jerb mang! I built a 2x12 out of pine, but your craftsmanship ended up a lot better looking than mine!

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Did you base your dimensions on existing designs, or are you creating from a blank sheet of paper?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone of fr00t: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm hoping to get some sort of tool for cutting perfect circles out for the speaker holes in the future, as these are a bit sketchy atm.

As far as dimensions go, I based them on existing designs to begin with just for ease. They'll no doubt change, but I don't know by how much.

One question I have, is do you guys think using any sound deadening materials in the back has any use at all? It's not something I'm really thinking of, just a general question.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Also, if you really want to get into speaker cab designing, check out the program WinISD. You can put in the parameter of speakers and dimensions/bracing/ports and "tune" your designs appropriately.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Nice job for a first go :yesway: I'm hoping to have a go at a cab myself soon, there's a sheet of ply going spare at work.

As far as your grille goes, I see you've recessed the front. Why not make a removable grille so you can switch between metal and cloth and see which works best?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wirelessly posted (iPhone of fr00t: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm thinking a out that actually :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Since this is your first go, I'd really forgo the handles, casters, and tolex until you hear how it sounds. I'm not trying to be mean, but first efforts always come with a high probability of error, and even a seemingly minor mistake might destroy the sound you're going for. I would install the speakers, wire the cabinet, and then expose it to heavy play testing, at a variety of volumes, with a battery of different amps, by as many players as you can get in front of it.

This is doubly true because you went with MDF, which is a pretty sterile wood. Put in the hours described above, and then start playing with other woods, like cabinet ply birch. Especially since you're considering selling these for profit. This is just your first cabinet.

Like I said, I'm not trying to deflate your sails. You've obviously spent a lot of time and effort getting to this point, and I'd hate to see you put in even more finishing it, just to find out it is below your expectations. A business owner is going to look at this particular cabinet as a test mule for different handles, casters, and coverings. Your choice of MDF was excellent for this sort of purpose, and it is what you should practice finger jointing with.

What you've got looks great so far! :yesway:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since this is your first go, I'd really forgo the handles, casters, and tolex until you hear how it sounds. I'm not trying to be mean, but first efforts always come with a high probability of error, and even a seemingly minor mistake might destroy the sound you're going for. I would install the speakers, wire the cabinet, and then expose it to heavy play testing, at a variety of volumes, with a battery of different amps, by as many players as you can get in front of it.

This is doubly true because you went with MDF, which is a pretty sterile wood. Put in the hours described above, and then start playing with other woods, like cabinet ply birch. Especially since you're considering selling these for profit. This is just your first cabinet.

Like I said, I'm not trying to deflate your sails. You've obviously spent a lot of time and effort getting to this point, and I'd hate to see you put in even more finishing it, just to find out it is below your expectations. A business owner is going to look at this particular cabinet as a test mule for different handles, casters, and coverings. Your choice of MDF was excellent for this sort of purpose, and it is what you should practice finger jointing with.

What you've got looks great so far! :yesway:
I totally get where you're coming from dude so no disrespect felt! At this point though, I think all the shit I described is a MUST, since I no longer have a cabinet. My other one fell down some steps and took a pretty nasty blow, plus the speaker was already completely shagged anyways :lol: The handles are only gonna be £8 for metal recessed ones, castors are free. Tolex is only £10 - £15. If it sounds like shit, it's gonna sound like shit, but I'm gonna have to put up with it either way :lol: Speaker wise, I'm thinking an Eminence Legend 120w, and Manowar 120w. Only in mono though. I never get any use from stereo, and there's only gonna be me using it :lol:

Thanks for all the kind comments and input though! Once I've got finger jointing down to a T, I'll move on to birch ply. Then see what I can do from there :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Definitely check out WinISD.

Also, vertical 2x12s = awesome.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely check out WinISD.

Also, vertical 2x12s = awesome.
I had a look at WinISD and instantly realised 'Holy fuck what have I left myself in for?' :lol: The joy of this cab will be that I don't think I'll be putting any badging on it, and I'll be able to screw feet to one of the sides, if I feel like it so I can make it vertical if I feel like it.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump to an old thread!

I made a tough decision today. Finish the cab, or save the cash for Black Ops? I chose the cab :lol: I ordered the other speaker today, 3m of black tolex, 2 recessed metal handles, 8 black 3-way corners, and 4 rubber feet (dunno why I bought those, where I work makes rubber). Speaker and tolex arriving tomorrow, everything else the day after, so should be working for my gig on Saturday! Can also get a metal grille cut at work to exact dimensions on the waterjet.

So tomorrow where the speakers screws on is gonna be sprayed Black, as well as the 'picture frame' on it. One speaker mounted until I can get my other back from our practice space, and tolex stuck on the backboard. The day after should be cutting of the handle holes, tolex rest of cabinet, add handles, add corners, add feet, add grille and 2nd speaker. WIN!

If it sounds like shit, then I've just got a load of spare shit I can use for something else :lol: Also, a quick shout to a mate at work, he's trying to persuade work to buy a CNC machine for wood working, and the first thing he thought of was making guitar bodies over dinner hour and just in the background. So these might be coming up soon hopefully.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I love how the first cab I built sounds. Would love to have another go, but unfortunately not in the budget right now. I built mine out of birch plywood though, it's very sturdy... MDF has got to be insanely heavy.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love how the first cab I built sounds. Would love to have another go, but unfortunately not in the budget right now. I built mine out of birch plywood though, it's very sturdy... MDF has got to be insanely heavy.
It's not actually too bad. Next one will be MDF, because I wanna try finger jointing (and MDF is free if I get it from work). If all that goes well, I'll maybe sell these 2 for cheap without speakers, and get some birch and finger joint it. I'll be running the 2 speakers in series, so I'll have 16ohm overall too.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
It's not actually too bad. Next one will be MDF, because I wanna try finger jointing (and MDF is free if I get it from work). If all that goes well, I'll maybe sell these 2 for cheap without speakers, and get some birch and finger joint it. I'll be running the 2 speakers in series, so I'll have 16ohm overall too.
You think it's not too bad now, wait until you have 2 speakers and all the hardware on it :lol: It'll be pretty heavy compared to laminate based 2x12's, MDF is very dense...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.