Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
badman
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...well almost, it arrived yesterday morning actually but I haven't yet had the time to play with it :D

I invested in a factory refurbished 5D Mk II from Canon UK's eBay outlet as an upgrade to my trusty old 400D/Rebel XTi. This is the first 'Full Frame' digital SLR that I've owned and it's a purchase I've been hoping to make for a while now.

Quick specs:
* 21.1 Megapixel Full Frame (35mm) sensor
* Full HD 1080 resolution movie recording @ 24p, 25p & 30p frame rates.
* 3.9 frames per second continuous shooting
* DIGIC 4 processor
* 3.0" VGA (920k dots) Clear View LCD
* ISO 100-6400 (expandable from ISO 50 up to 25,600)
* 9 AF points + 6 Assist AF points

Apologies about the stock pics...trust me when I say you don't want to see the camera-phone shots I took of it :ugh: :lol:

The viewfinder is very bright and absolutely HUGE! coming from a crop-sensor camera it blew me away when I first put my eye to it. The quality of the rear LCD is fantastic - bright and very sharp with excellent contrast and color saturation, it's like having a HDTV in the back of the camera :lol:...it makes it really easy to see if you've focused and exposed correctly or not which is handy. The low-light/high-ISO performance of the camera was a big selling-point for me so I'm looking forward to seeing how it copes at a wedding I'm shooting next weekend. The build quality is solid (the body is magnesium alloy) and makes my 400D feel like a bit of a toy, and although it lacks the weather sealing and snappiness of the 1D/1Ds series it's a different animal built for a different purpose - the 5D's all about image quality and should partner well with the L series lens that I currently have (24-70mm f/2.8L USM).

I haven't tested the video functionality yet, but apparently the entire season finale of House was filmed with one which looked pretty good :eek: example below:

...and finally, a couple of little test shots that I snapped in the garden this morning...tomorrow I'm going to put this thing through it's paces :metal:

That's pretty much it. I'll add to the main photo thread when I've taken some proper shots with it. For now though, based solely on first impressions and a couple of test shots, I cautiously deem the Canon 5D Mk II to be chock full of WIN :yesway::wub:

(I'm half expecting Canon to announce the 5D Mk III next week :roll2:)

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Those look pretty sick (well the images they make) I think the original is sexier looking lol.

·
EFILNIKUFESIN
1,657 Posts
You deserve it man! You deserve actually the best equipment out there! I saw some pics with IR mod of the 5D MKII and it's awesome too.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Shot my last commercial with the 5d. Pretty impressive! Great purchase! :yesway:

·
badman
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shot my last commercial with the 5d. Pretty impressive! Great purchase! :yesway:
Wow, do you shoot commercials for a living PSP?

I think it's pretty amazing that you can now shoot commercials or even major budget US TV shows with a £1700 camera :nuts: Besides the cost there must be a lot of benefits to using something so small and light-weight on the set.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Yep. I've been a director for ten years now... I've done way more music videos than ads but I've done a couple here and there. I think I remember saying it once in the photography thread... Anyway, that's why I love your stuff : I go trough references pictures / Images banks a LOT each time i'm in pre-production or search for inspiration so I can tell what's shit and what's not. :D

Yes, there's benefits to use something so small and light-weight on the set.. But there is still bad sides as well. As an example, you can't plug an exterior or onboard monitor to it without having the rear display going off... In ads shoots, clients want to see the shots, but with this, you can't show them since the d.o.p. has to frame. For now, within the industry at least, it's mainly a cost thing. Hello recession! lol

·
Would You Kindly?
487 Posts
Ah I have one of those, great cameras. I need a faster, better lens though.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I have total DSLR envy. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.