Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why delayed? Well the actual NGD was last week, but since I don't have the net at my new place then, it had to be delayed.

Anyhoo, decided it was time to bag another Pod XT as it seemed to be the most cost effective way of getting some decent tones for now. Before any boutique tube snobs chime in please remember that I'd been using a no-brand 10w practice amp, plus I actually quite liked the tones I was getting out of my old Pod XT Pro.

I had thought about another Pro, but having seen the most recent completed listings on Ebay ending around the £180 mark, when I actually started bidding and got out bid to £215 on one and a frankly insane £315 on another I thought fuck it, do I really need the unprocessed out for my tuner that much? Short answer is no, so I bagged a regular XT for £115 :yesway: I also bagged an FBV Express for £42, which in hindsight was a mistake. Nothing wrong with the way it works at all, but the lack of "bank up" is a PITA as is not having your patch name or number on the pedal, so I've no idea where I am without looking at the Pod. So, after next payday I'll sell the Express and bag an FBV Shortboard.

Not that any of you don't know what a Pod looks like, but here's a pic anyway:

I've also put a deposit down on an RGA7, but I have to wait for another shipment to come into the country. Well, unless I want to pay another £75 for it that is, so I think I'll save my money and wait.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Thy Brick of House: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/448; U; en-GB) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

Well done mate! Glad to see you finally getting shit back together! I swapped my X3 a few months back for a 5 string bass, which also in hindsight, was a bad idea :lol: If had to pick another cheapish 7 up, it'd be an RGA7 or another Apex 2.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The worst bit is my mate the shop I'm getting it from handed me one of those new 7 string Soloists and plugged me into the new 1x12 6505 combo when I went to place the order. If I had £1500 to spend on a rig & guitar rather than ~£500 I'd have had those instead. The new Soloist is fucking fantastic and sounded crushing through the 6505, and to be honest the fit and finish of the Soloist really wasn't far off my old Death Warrior, which was a Jackson custom shop guitar.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Just today i yanked my pedals and G-System head unit out of my rack and strapped in the Crate PowerBlock. I've been using my GT-6 for the last couple of band rehearsals and it's like coming back to an old friend. And my tone is still kicking ass.

Using the Mesa F-30 head for a couple of years taught me a lot about how to best take advantage of the subtlety of gain stages, so my "crunch" tones are even better on the GT-6 now, and i even tweaked my high-gain sounds to get more clarity and punch with less "GRAAAKK". I haven't used PODs much, but i know from experience that real-world knowledge of how particular amps work does translate very well into the BOSS modeling environment.

I say bollocks to what everyone says you "need" to have to get great tones. Use what works for you. :agreed:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I've been using Spinal Puppet for years now and am satisfied. I wish they would update that model though. I never got the metal packs and I actually sold off my XT but am now using GuitarPort with PodFarm.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Thy Brick of House: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/448; U; en-GB) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

James said:
The worst bit is my mate the shop I'm getting it from handed me one of those new 7 string Soloists and plugged me into the new 1x12 6505 combo when I went to place the order. If I had £1500 to spend on a rig & guitar rather than ~£500 I'd have had those instead. The new Soloist is fucking fantastic and sounded crushing through the 6505, and to be honest the fit and finish of the Soloist really wasn't far off my old Death Warrior, which was a Jackson custom shop guitar.
I've been really interested in the 6505 112, almost bought one instead of the Blackstar, but I was looking at atleast a 2 month wait, without even being able to play one local. If I can try one out, might be my next amp, failing the Blackstar S1.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I say bollocks to what everyone says you "need" to have to get great tones. Use what works for you. :agreed:
Well in an ideal world I'd have a 3ch Dual Rec, but since I'm skint this is a damn good substitute. My next thing to look into is affordable poweramps, preferably 6L6 and either true mono or dual monoblock since I only have a mono cab.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been using Spinal Puppet for years now and am satisfied. I wish they would update that model though. I never got the metal packs and I actually sold off my XT but am now using GuitarPort with PodFarm.
I have the model packs and I'm using a 5150 patch for rhythm and an Uberschall patch for leads. Ironically I like a Recto more than a 5150 in real life (not that I dislike the 5150, far from it), but I like the 5150 model more than the Recto on the Pod.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been really interested in the 6505 112, almost bought one instead of the Blackstar, but I was looking at atleast a 2 month wait, without even being able to play one local. If I can try one out, might be my next amp, failing the Blackstar S1.
Well have you ever played a 5150 or 6505? I had some reservations that it might sound different being made in China, but it sounds just like them. It rocks :metal:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Well in an ideal world I'd have a 3ch Dual Rec, but since I'm skint this is a damn good substitute. My next thing to look into is affordable poweramps, preferably 6L6 and either true mono or dual monoblock since I only have a mono cab.
I have no experience with poweramps besides the Peavey Classic 60/60 and Carvin TS100, so I can't offer any help here, I just know they're both well cheap if you can find them 2nd hand :lol:

Well have you ever played a 5150 or 6505? I had some reservations that it might sound different being made in China, but it sounds just like them. It rocks :metal:
I played a 6505+ about 2 years ago in Newcastle, and that's about the last time I tried one, and that was with an S7320 and a Caparison Dellinger 7. So I'd kinda need a fresh opinion on a 6505 before I went and splashed on one :lol: I could never for the life of me get a usable tone out of my X3 Live, but once I swapped it with my mate and he ran it through a Peavey 60/60, it sounds fucking awesome!

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well valve power amps really make the Pod come alive. Early last year I still had a Mesa 2:100 and the Pod sounded immense run through a channel of that, with the other channel running into the dummy load of my Weber Mass Lite. I've since sold both of those though. I had a Peavey Classic 60/60 at the same time too, and it just wasn't as "alive" as the Mesa.

As my cab's also 90w and I also like KT88's, a VHT 2:90:2 would be perfect. However they're stupidly expense if you can find one.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Your cab has 3 V30s, right James?

V30s handle 60w apiece if I remember right... although my time in the bass world has made me slightly distrustful of basic power handling specs published by speaker companies.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it does, however they only handle 30w each. The clue is in the name ;)

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok. Well my cab definitely has V30's, but it's also rated at 90W :scratch: Then again, as you'll see from the pic they're 5.3ohm oddballs, so maybe they're only 30w too :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Ok. Well my cab definitely has V30's, but it's also rated at 90W :scratch: Then again, as you'll see from the pic they're 5.3ohm oddballs, so maybe they're only 30w too :lol:
5.3ohm?!? You and your fucking 3-speaker cab. :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts