Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He may not be metal but I've always dug his phrasing and he certainly has chops.

:bowdown:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Schon and Scholz both have that awesome liquidy solo tone that I love.

·
I'm full of Hell...
411 Posts
Being the closet Journey fan that I am, who apparently has no problem "outing" himself, I've long been a fan of Neal's playing.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
If you want to hear Schon at his best, pick up the first two Journey albums: "Journey" and "Look Into The Future." Lots of searing solos and none of the sappy crappy stuff that started a couple years later when Steve Perry joined the band.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
If you want to hear Schon at his best, pick up the first two Journey albums: "Journey" and "Look Into The Future." Lots of searing solos and none of the sappy crappy stuff that started a couple years later when Steve Perry joined the band.
Holy shit. You're right. Look Into the Future is surprisingly awesome. And not Gay. Wow. This is really good. :yesway:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Holy shit. You're right. Look Into the Future is surprisingly awesome. And not Gay. Wow. This is really good. :yesway:
The first two albums were essentially jazz fusion, and the band was Carlos Santana's backing band at Woodstock.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
The first two albums were essentially jazz fusion, and the band was Carlos Santana's backing band at Woodstock.
I'd say they were more just kickass rock with some fusion influence, but definitely more musically robust than what came later. However, I was probably a bit ungenerous in my previous comment--really, all of the Journey albums through "Departure" have some good stuff on them, and Schon always has kickass playing. The problem with the later albums with Jonathan Cain is too much cheezy keyboards and balladry, and not enough Neal Schon.

He's one of my touchstones for getting a good lead tone out of a Les Paul.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was it like a shirtless drunken Neal devouring a bag full of Quarter Pounders or something? LOL

PS - The Beato breakdown of Don't Stop Believing is awesome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts