Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing with my EX re-hardware project, Nate was nice enough to toss me a Lace Sensor blue/gold humbucker for the bridge position in my EX. I really don't use that position a hell of a lot with this guitar, and I'd like to match up the middle/neck pickups (both singles) with it.

Lace has a shitton of pickups on their site:

Lace Music Products | Since 1979 - Lace Sensor electric guitar pickups, Alumitone bass pickups, California Acoustic pickups - A pickup for any style of music.

And I'm curious if any of you have good/bad experiences with them. I'm looking for something for the neck position with a lot of mid/bass response for lower gain bluesy stuff (think Drew's tone).

Right now I'm leaning towards a pair of purples. I've no idea what the hell wood this thing is made of, but I'm assuming it's either Basswood or something cheaper. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
FWIW, I have Golds in my strat. Reading the Purple description, it sounds like it should sound more like a humbucker than a singlecoil, which probably won't get you anywhere near the sound of mine.

Hell, want my golds? I've kind of been meaning to try something different anyway.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW, I have Golds in my strat. Reading the Purple description, it sounds like it should sound more like a humbucker than a singlecoil, which probably won't get you anywhere near the sound of mine.

Hell, want my golds? I've kind of been meaning to try something different anyway.
I'm dropping it (the guitar) off at Alec (my tech guy) later today for a complete rewire, so I'm just going to hit up GC and snag the golds and new pots/jacks. Tony and I swapped out the switch last night, and noticed that the wire in there (20 years old now) is in pretty grim shape. The guitar has a shitload of hum in the neck position, and I'm thinking that may have quite a bit to do with it.

Thanks though. :wub:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, I'm having him swap out the locking Ibby nut with a fender LSR roller nut. I think he might need to shorten the fretboard a wee, but it should be pretty win when it's done. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Sweet. :yesway: If you're going to continue to use the bar when you get it back, you might want to invest in locking tuners, too - just to physically keep the strings attached to the neck when dive bombing. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wirelessly posted (Metal Shop \m/: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Naw, it's too old for bar abuse.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet. :yesway: If you're going to continue to use the bar when you get it back, you might want to invest in locking tuners, too - just to physically keep the strings attached to the neck when dive bombing. :lol:
Going w/Sperzels. :yesway: Also, I need black pickups so I couldn't use yours anyway. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts