Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing some short, basic keyboard parts for my album. Mostly harmonies behind lead parts and shit like that.

I have the notation down, and I can tap it out, but it sounds robotic as fuck because I have absolutely zero feel with the keys.

If any of you has a sec, can you record like a minute or so of 110-120ish bpm piano playing, and shoot me the MIDI? I just want to check the notes out as played by a "real" piano player, and try to edit/adjust my written in bits so that they don't sound overly perfect and completely un-natural.

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
The trick is variation in velocity for piano and there are various tricks with other instruments. 99.99% of keys in the albums you hear are inhumanly quantized so you need not worry about robotic rhythm. Can you post an unfinished clip or PM me one so I can see what you're looking for?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ancient bump, but I'm back to to this point, finishing the song it's in.

Here's what it sounds like by itself. I've shifted some notes around to humanize it a bit, and tried slicing it so that the notes end/start opposite each other and vice versa. A little overlap seems to help a tiny bit, but it still sounds rather robotic.

Here's the sound clip, .mid file is attached.

http://www.chrisquigley.com/facta/RC-Piano-MG.mp3

It's not a big deal because it's buried under a huge harmony line, but there are a few other piano parts I'm punching in and I'd like to figure out how to get it to sound natural.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here it is in context.

Disclaimer: This is NOT a mix, it's like 8 different rhythm reamp tracks running at once with nothing on them, with the track sliders wherever I happened to leave them last. I'm not looking for pointers on the mix, just showing where the above part fits in the song.

http://www.chrisquigley.com/facta/Rally-Piano-Bits.mp3

Click me if that doesn't play in your browser.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
To be honest, that sounds robotic because it's been shifted around in a way most humans wouldn't play it - would almost sound more human if it was just aligned to the grid! With that kind of line, I think the natural tendency would be a very slight emphasis on the first note.

Hell, I'm no keys player by even the vaguest stretch of the imagination, but if that's all you're after I don't mind playing it and sending you the MIDI! I will, of course, require 80% of the royalties and my face on the album cover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts