Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My acoustic project has finally booked a few gigs, so of course it's time to spend money on gear! I'm looking for something to make leads stand out a bit - signal boost, a bit of compression, maybe a very light, very warm overdrive. Has to sound nice with an acoustic guitar - anyone have any thoughts on what to look at?

My signal chain for this band is currently guitar -> tuner -> DI box -> PA, so whatever it is has to really sound fantastic, and I'm not too concerned about cost.

I had some thoughts about the Tech 21 Boost D.L.A. but I'm not sure I actually want the delay.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Tech 21's Character Series does this, in a variety of amp flavors. They have built-in speaker sims too, which means the overdrive doesn't sound like fizzy crap through a PA, and when the gain is up they compress like an amp does somewhat. Maybe the Vox, Hiwatt, or Fender one?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This.

OB.1 Optical Compressor & Clean Boost - Compressor Pedal » strymon

It's worth every penny, and I kick myself for selling mine. It's AWESOME.
Optical compressor + boost? Sounds about right...

Tech 21's Character Series does this, in a variety of amp flavors. They have built-in speaker sims too, which means the overdrive doesn't sound like fizzy crap through a PA, and when the gain is up they compress like an amp does somewhat. Maybe the Vox, Hiwatt, or Fender one?
I hadn't really thought about this - the built-in speaker sim is probably a big plus in this situation.

Keep the suggestions coming, I have a lot of Youtube videos to listen to :)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Optical compressor + boost? Sounds about right...
I sold it to Andy because at the time I didn't need it (all I was using was the Fractal). It's on my short list of gear to re-acquire.

I hadn't really thought about this - the built-in speaker sim is probably a big plus in this situation.

Keep the suggestions coming, I have a lot of Youtube videos to listen to :)
Shit dude, you have no kids yet, just get an Axe-Fx. :lol:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sold it to Andy because at the time I didn't need it (all I was using was the Fractal). It's on my short list of gear to re-acquire.

Shit dude, you have no kids yet, just get an Axe-Fx. :lol:
I'm wondering if a small pedal board is overkill, and you're suggesting I start bringing a RACK to acoustic gigs?! :p

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Will these things really sound any good on an acoustic guitar? :lol:

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
Actually, yeah. I have no clue about the Strymon, but here's an example of the EP with piezo outputs:

The other guitar player in my band (on the right) is using the EP Booster with his signal (and a very subtle chorus from a TC dreamscape) with the piezo outs of his JP XII. That audio's from the room, so it's not the most accurate ever, but I do think it's close enough to give you an idea.

Plus, the EP Booster is heaven in front of a tube amp (and cheap, too!).

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A quality compressor can really help the sound of a DI acoustic.

Sounds like I have to find a place to demo the Strymon compressor and EP Booster.

Chris, can I choose compressor alone, booster alone, both, bypass with the Strymon, or is it compressor only, compressor + boost, bypass?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Me too :drew:

I guess all I really care about is: can I have a single switch toggle between compressor + boost and bypass.

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
^ That was great! I didn't know you went to RMA. :yesway:
I went for about six months in high school and I worked there for a couple of years. The owner and I have been friends for ages and now we're playing in the same band :yesway:

4,429 Posts
Judging by the sound samples on Strymons website you can't toggle the boost and compressor separately. Only the boost separately. Slightly shortsighted but it's intended to allow you to turn both on with a single step. A third switch allowing you to arm or disarm the compressor part of the pedal would've been best.

That said turning the compression all the way down isn't going to be noticeably compressed to anyone but you. So using the boost alone would still be a viable option. Unless there is a song where you need compression at one point and an uncompressed boost at another then you shouldn't have a problem with the one shortcoming of an awesome pedal. I've only used it once in a store in San Fran and really dug it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Is it going to be on all the time?

If so just get a tube mic preamp to run your acoustic through. Presonus studio channel works for me to do anything i want (eq, boost & compression). The only bitch is i need to take it out of my rack if i want to record vocals ( & acoustic aswell in the hopefully near future) so i might get a second one.

mainly using it the same way as normal people use a tubescreamer in front of their amp. If you up the budget i'm sure there's plenty of better stuff out there to to suit your needs.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts