Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Fender twin reverb and it's a grat amp for cleans, how ever I can't get any high gain out of it
I can't do legato triplets or tap playing at all the hammer ons sound quiet and dull

I really like the Gilmour tone and this amp is perfect for it
my effect chain is ...... 808 clean boost >> Green Muff >> CS2 >> CE2 >> Delay

The sustain I'm happy with but the gain just sucks
I'm not sure if I'll be able to get more gain out of the Twin reverb

what I'm really thinking of is to get an Peavey JSX amp as it has 2 high gain channels and a clean one

is there any better alternative ?

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I own a Fender twin reverb and it's a grat amp for cleans, how ever I can't get any high gain out of it
I can't do legato triplets or tap playing at all the hammer ons sound quiet and dull

I really like the Gilmour tone and this amp is perfect for it
my effect chain is ...... 808 clean boost >> Green Muff >> CS2 >> CE2 >> Delay

The sustain I'm happy with but the gain just sucks
I'm not sure if I'll be able to get more gain out of the Twin reverb

what I'm really thinking of is to get an Peavey JSX amp as it has 2 high gain channels and a clean one

is there any better alternative ?
ENGL Invader does exactly this, amazing clean and every type of gain in between.

I used to own a JSX and wasn't very happy with the tone, both rhythm and lead channel were very undefined.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ENGL Invader does exactly this, amazing clean and every type of gain in between.

I used to own a JSX and wasn't very happy with the tone, both rhythm and lead channel were very undefined.
Hmm interesting ...looks like a decent amp with a decent price tag
how would you define the clean compered to Fender amps
does it have the bluesy character ?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

The twin will get very distorted, just wear a couple sets of earplugs and Dime the fucker

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Hmm interesting ...looks like a decent amp with a decent price tag
how would you define the clean compered to Fender amps
does it have the bluesy character ?
The amp is a bit on the pricey side, but to be honest with you i have personally tried at least 15 amp's until i found the one that i liked (it also happened to be the most expensive one :\..

Each channel has separate EQ, and their is a built in boost and bright that can be turned on and off for each channel, it also has a really good built in noise gate (and its midi).

Channel 1: Fender Clean
Channel 2: Fender Clean to Hard Rock (Queen / Guns and Roses)
Channel 3: Modern Hard Rock to Extreme Metal Rhythm (cuts amazingly well compared to many other ENGL amps)
Channel 4: Petrucci Lead tone (i think it nails it)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

The twin will get very distorted, just wear a couple sets of earplugs and Dime the fucker
I can get great distortion out of with my big muff or with the 808 but no gain
the taping sounds a lot quieter then picking
the whole idea is make the setup so sensitive that taping ( hammer ons will sound the same as picking and have the same attack

this is not the case even when I turn the volume to 9 the legato still sound dull with less volume

thanks for advice

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The amp is a bit on the pricey side, but to be honest with you i have personally tried at least 15 amp's until i found the one that i liked (it also happened to be the most expensive one :\..

Each channel has separate EQ, and their is a built in boost and bright that can be turned on and off for each channel, it also has a really good built in noise gate (and its midi).

Channel 1: Fender Clean
Channel 2: Fender Clean to Hard Rock (Queen / Guns and Roses)
Channel 3: Modern Hard Rock to Extreme Metal Rhythm (cuts amazingly well compared to many other ENGL amps)
Channel 4: Petrucci Lead tone (i think it nails it)
your advice is much appreciated

you mentioned that you tried many amps... did you try the Mesa Triple Rectifier
It has a clean channel and 2 gain channels just like the JSX
it is more affordable them the ENGL Invader and there is more widespread so I might be able to get one from eBay

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

metamp said:

I can get great distortion out of with my big muff or with the 808 but no gain
the taping sounds a lot quieter then picking
the whole idea is make the setup so sensitive that taping ( hammer ons will sound the same as picking and have the same attack

this is not the case even when I turn the volume to 9 the legato still sound dull with less volume

thanks for advice
That's not a gain issue (not directly anyways) it's a compression issue

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
your advice is much appreciated

you mentioned that you tried many amps... did you try the Mesa Triple Rectifier
It has a clean channel and 2 gain channels just like the JSX
it is more affordable them the ENGL Invader and there is more widespread so I might be able to get one from eBay
I am not a fan of of the dual / triple rec amps.. if you want a great amp for a good price try a used Mesa Mark 4, it has a really good lead tone / rhythm tone and a great clean.

·
should really be working.
366 Posts
Another option would be to keep the Fender and get a used 5150 and a A/B pedal. That is, if you don't mind hauling around and micing 2 amps.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Some suggestions I've found for amps with excellent Fendery cleans and great gain channels:

EVH 5150 III
Mesa F series
Mesa Mark series
Pretty much any modern high-gain amp from Rivera
Fender Super-Sonic

·
Chromaphonic Invader
1,298 Posts
Another option would be to keep the Fender and get a used 5150 and a A/B pedal. That is, if you don't mind hauling around and micing 2 amps.
This.

It's what I do, I haven't found anything that I like more than an old fender for cleans. Not that there are many cleans in my music.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Go play some amps, and find one you like the tone of yourself. Typically people on internet forums are going to recommend their favorite flavor, which might not suit you.

Also, only you can decide what your budget is, and what tone is worth to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all suggestions in the end it will all come down to what is the best for the money
It's hard to play these amps live as no music store around has them
Guitar center is a chain that sells stuff that people can afford and on which they can make the most money on

and I forgot to mention Bugera amps which are great knock offs for a fraction of a price :)

Next week I will post a poll which super high gain/clean amp is the best for the money see how it goes

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Go play some amps, and find one you like the tone of yourself. Typically people on internet forums are going to recommend their favorite flavor, which might not suit you.

Also, only you can decide what your budget is, and what tone is worth to you.
No, what he needs is a Mesa Nomad :wub:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I will say, the Mesa F-30 my stepdad just picked up has a gorgeous sparkly clean tone as well as two flavors of Recto-inspired "rip yer face off" rhythm in Channel 2 and Contour mode.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.