Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've came across this issue twice now at work, and cannot understand why this is happening. The issue we're having is, certain emails are deleting themselves from the inbox, but only ones that have been read. I've tried the 'View unread messages' option, which got rid of ALL emails besides ones that haven't been read, but it seems to only be certain emails. For example, the user has 4 unread emails in her inbox now, and 142 read ones. If she clicks on one of the already read ones, it disappears, not in the Deleted Items folder, not anywhere. It happens with the unread ones too.

Anyone experienced this before?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll certainly have a look at that! I'll let you guys know the crack! Will this bring back old emails or just stop deleting them in the future?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I'll certainly have a look at that! I'll let you guys know the crack! Will this bring back old emails or just stop deleting them in the future?
To find the archive file (it's a .pst) try this.

1.) Show hidden folders in your view options on Explorer.
2.) Go to C:/Documents and Settings/[username]/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook/archive.pst
3.) Import that file into Outlook. The option is in the File menu.

If it's not there, let me know, there are other ways to find out where the archive file is if it exists.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

zepp said:
To find the archive file (it's a .pst) try this.

1.) Show hidden folders in your view options on Explorer.
2.) Go to C:/Documents and Settings/[username]/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook/archive.pst
3.) Import that file into Outlook. The option is in the File menu.

If it's not there, let me know, there are other ways to find out where the archive file is if it exists.
Standard spot is actually c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook

It's a hidden directory, btw. Also if it is indeed auto-archiving, it is probably already showing up in the folder structure on the left side of Outlook as "archive folders"

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Good catch Jeff. Both directories might exist, but Jeff is right.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hate ratching around in Documents and Settings, especially when backing up Signatures and .NK2 files during rebuilds :pissed:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Actually I just thought of something. If the read messages are disappearing right away, she could just have her view set to show only unread messages :lol:

Go to View -> Current View and make sure Messages is checked, not Unread messages.

EDIT: Doh, didn't read your whole message :lol:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No Blackberry or delegates AFAIK. Also, there appears to be no AutoArchive function in the first place, and I can't find any .pst's. I often debate my choice of profession :lol:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I wonder if it's a rule that says "delete message after reading"? Have you checked the Rules and Alerts to see if anything is acting funny?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Kagami said:
You try blowing away the mail profile yet? Usually if you do that it kills off any weird stuff.
That's actually a great idea. Since it's an Exchange account all the data is on the server anyway, especially since you're not using any pst files. Either that, or rename the ost file to outlook.ost.old, and Outlook will rebuild the ost cache file, which might fix it. It's best to just redo the profile though.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I never thought of nuke and re-profile :lol: I'll try it when I get back to work on Monday!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts