Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I'm not very good with 5-ways, as I prefer 3-ways. I've been thinking about a strat with 3 P90's with coil taps (slightly different than coil splitting), but the concept is kinda the same. My thought was to have a standard 5-way strat wiring config, then three mini switches for each P90, to decide if I wanted it full on, or tapped.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not very good with 5-ways, as I prefer 3-ways. I've been thinking about a strat with 3 P90's with coil taps (slightly different than coil splitting), but the concept is kinda the same. My thought was to have a standard 5-way strat wiring config, then three mini switches for each P90, to decide if I wanted it full on, or tapped.
Check this out, I think I might get one of this instead of three mini-switches.
3PDT Switch True Bypass(for diy projects) - eBay (item 160448778122 end time Aug-23-10 12:25:40 PDT)
Could that work? I mean I know I would have to have them ALL either split or not but it would be cheaper and I don't really use single-coils for anything but cleans in which case it shouldn't take me too long to hit a switch. ;)

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Check this out, I think I might get one of this instead of three mini-switches.
3PDT Switch True Bypass(for diy projects) - eBay (item 160448778122 end time Aug-23-10 12:25:40 PDT)
Could that work? I mean I know I would have to have them ALL either split or not but it would be cheaper and I don't really use single-coils for anything but cleans in which case it shouldn't take me too long to hit a switch. ;)
Yeah, you could definitely just do one switch, but I like having cool options. Like, you could run your neck in series and the middle in parallel, on position 4, or vice versa. I mean, until you know what they sound like, it's just fun to experiment with the tones.

And, experimenting with 5-ways will definitely allow you more positions than just a 3-way :agreed:

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
And, experimenting with 5-ways will definitely allow you more positions than just a 3-way :agreed:
Word.:lol:

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. I think I have almost everything
GFS Crunchy Rails (For Neck and Bridge)
GFS Lil Killer Hot 15K version (For Middle)
Black HH Pickguard (I'll cut out the middle position myself)
4 Linear 500K pots for Volume & Tone controls
3PDT switch for splitting the coils of all my pickups at one time

What else do I need? Some of these maybe? I don't know what they are for but they are mentioned a lot. Orange Drop caps? If you guys know of anything else I'll need to complete this job let me know. Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
As far as the caps go, at some point, you're going to get into Eric Johnson territory. It doesn't matter if you use Duracell or Energizer, because after your signal goes through 80 different things, it's not going to come out of the wash.

So, a volume for each pickup, and a master tone, or vice versa? Considering the variation in treble response between your neck and bridge, I'd actually think to go the other way around, but it could be cool that way too.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as the caps go, at some point, you're going to get into Eric Johnson territory. It doesn't matter if you use Duracell or Energizer, because after your signal goes through 80 different things, it's not going to come out of the wash.

So, a volume for each pickup, and a master tone, or vice versa? Considering the variation in treble response between your neck and bridge, I'd actually think to go the other way around, but it could be cool that way too.
Tone for each Master Volume for all

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
This one will cook your noodle. You can use different cap values for different EQ regimes for your tone controls :cool:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
The cap is essentially what makes the tone control. I think the std value is .022uf, but a little research should turn up what values make what sounds.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The cap is essentially what makes the tone control. I think the std value is .022uf, but a little research should turn up what values make what sounds.
Thanks. That is what they call the Les Paul standard value or a.k.a. humbucker equipped guitar I suppose. Thanks a lot man. Now I need to just find some diagrams. Also, I have soldering iron that has a sticker that says 100W. They generally say you need a 15-40W and that higher wattage is actually better though since you doesn't take but a second to solder therefore keeping the pots from heating up and being damaged. Bad idea to use this one?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Yes, very bad :lol:

Mine is 30w, and works great. Takes about 5s to get the job done. The trick is keeping your tip clean (also can be a problem in a 5-way).

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ok, noted. I'll have to pick up a 30w pencil type then. Also, do you think I should just use a master tone control? I don't usually use a tone control unless completely on or off so switching to a pickup with a tone # set for it is not that big of a deal. I would just switch it all the way on or off. It would cut the cost down even more plus make wiring simpler.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
You can actually incorporate a tone control in your volume pot, by adding a cap to it. I've done this before, and what it does, is keeps your highs up when you roll the volume down. Generally, rolling the volume down gives you a mellower tone, due to attenuation of some of your highs.

It's a neat effect, especially if you're playing a hot tube amp, and you want to roll back on your guitar's volume to clean up the overdrive.

But, I tend to not use my tone knob either. I used to think I did, but I never really go for it. I've been trying to come up with a neat way of changing it up a bit, but haven't come up with anything I've liked.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can actually incorporate a tone control in your volume pot, by adding a cap to it. I've done this before, and what it does, is keeps your highs up when you roll the volume down. Generally, rolling the volume down gives you a mellower tone, due to attenuation of some of your highs.

It's a neat effect, especially if you're playing a hot tube amp, and you want to roll back on your guitar's volume to clean up the overdrive.

But, I tend to not use my tone knob either. I used to think I did, but I never really go for it. I've been trying to come up with a neat way of changing it up a bit, but haven't come up with anything I've liked.
Treble Bleed mod is what GuitarHeads calls 'em. I rather not do that as I actually like the mellowed sound when pulling the volume back.

Moving on. What about one of those concentric pots or whatver they're called. It's 2 pots in one! 1 for volume & one for tone!!!! Sounds like the perfect solution. Although I would have an extra hole in the pickguard. I was playing on using the empty Tone 2 control for my coil-splitting 3PDT switch.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts