Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've set up my guitars for quite a long time, but I wanted some outside input to maybe get a fresh perspective. On my RGA8 I've been using the following string gauges from high to low: 9-12-15-22-30-40-54-72, which tension wise is great and feels very even across the board. All this time I've had this ANNOYING ass buzz on the 6th fret on the 3rd string, and I can't seem to get rid of it no matter what I do. I can set intonation, that's a very easy thing to do. However, I need some outside opinions on the rest of a setup: trussrod setup (how to measure/know when it's setup properly, etc), string action (high e height, measured from 24th or 12th fret, on the 8-string should i measure the low side action on the f# string or the low b/low e, etc.), pickup height, etc. I know a lot of this is up to taste, but I wanted to get an idea from those experienced with this type of thing because this one fret is getting VERY annoying, I've tried hammering down the fret in front of it, having the fret filed, all kinds of stuff and this is driving me insane! And I don't really want to bump up to a higher string gauge as I like the tension of the strings as they are right now.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
All this time I've had this ANNOYING ass buzz on the 6th fret on the 3rd string, and I can't seem to get rid of it no matter what I do.
I know you said you've tried hammering/filing frets, but the only thing that comes to mind that will cause only one fret to buzz is the one above it being too high. Have you tried measuring the levelness of the frets?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I've tried checking with a flat edge object (ruler) to see if there are any high or low frets, and it doesn't rock at all any direction on any of the frets indicating one that is any higher or lower than any of the others. :(

·
Registered
374 Posts
maybe your action is simply too low, or the neck too flat.

if you fret the first and last fret you should see at least 0.5mm to 1mm gap between the string and the 8th or 9th fret. you can sometimes get away with a very straight neck (<0.5mm) with a flawless fretjob and thicker strings, but it's very likely that you'll get some buzz. after having adjusted the neck/truss rod, adjust the bridge height until there are no buzzing frets.

i'm no guitar tech, but this works for me in most cases :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts