Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
What are you looking to do with it? Those amps don't tend to do as well with metal as Dual and Triples.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just curious really. I didn't know that was the case though. I've heard people say things like, "My 94 tremoverb is the best amp I've ever had for metal" so I figured I'd see whats up with them.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You should get a Dual Rectifier Blue Angel for metal :agreed:

:rofl:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I owned a mid-90s Tremoverb, and metal is the last thing I would use it for. It is too mid-rangey, thanks to the different eq stack. However, it is an awesome pop, blues, rock, and hard rock amp.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I owned a mid-90s Tremoverb, and metal is the last thing I would use it for. It is too mid-rangey, thanks to the different eq stack. However, it is an awesome pop, blues, rock, and hard rock amp.
That was my experience with it too. While it's an awesome amp, I wouldn't reach for it for metal, necessarily. I do think they're a bit over-valued in the used market.

The ROV is a cool amp too, I quite liked the Series II, and nearly bought one, except that I found a DC-5 in good condition.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Yeah, Tremoverbs typically go for inflated prices, simply because they are so rare. You have to admit that the reverb on it smokes anything else that says Mesa on it.

·
I rippity rhymes, da rhymes dat I rip
217 Posts
You should get a Dual Rectifier Blue Angel for metal :agreed:

:rofl:
I did :D

Yeah, Tremoverbs typically go for inflated prices, simply because they are so rare. You have to admit that the reverb on it smokes anything else that says Mesa on it.
Not quite, the Blue Angel has delicious reverb.

Tremoverbs are a great all around amp and was the most versatile Recto until the Roadking came out. The dirty channel isn't quite as aggressive as the Solo (traditional diamond plate) heads mainly due to the refocused midrange as Noodle said but I've been able to dial in some sweet metal tones on a T-verb especially boosted.

2000 is when they switched over to the 3 channel models and are generally considered to be a bit more "harsh" or "cold" sounding compared to their predecessors but the 3 channels clean walks all over the 2 channel model. It's no Fender by any means but it's a pretty significant upgrade.

You'll see some Pre-500 Rectos floating around at exorbitant prices. These are essentially prototypes (but mesa sold them) that got worked through to create what we know as the "Recto Sound" that we know today. Starting from Mesa's take on Soldano's SLO design and tweaking from there. Dave & Mike can give more comment to those as I think one of them had a recto with a ridiculously low serial number.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
You'll see some Pre-500 Rectos floating around at exorbitant prices. These are essentially prototypes (but mesa sold them) that got worked through to create what we know as the "Recto Sound" that we know today. Starting from Mesa's take on Soldano's SLO design and tweaking from there. Dave & Mike can give more comment to those as I think one of them had a recto with a ridiculously low serial number.
Yeah, there were something like seven revisions, two of which never saw the light of day. The ridiculously low serial Recto you are talking about was owned by our friend Todd, who may be along to post about it soon enough. It is #5, and I want to say it was a C revision. It sounded like a SLO with more bottom end, and is absolutely the best lead amp I have ever recorded with.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
From what we know there was no revision A or B, and if they were they never went into production. I had the R0005 which was a revision C.

There use to be a page on all the different revisions, but the pro at this is silverwolf, he has done alot of research.

If you can find a used RK1 I think they are the best recto's for the buck, they are between a tremoverb and a dual, a little more mid's then a dual/triple but not as much as the tremoverb.

Yeah, there were something like seven revisions, two of which never saw the light of day. The ridiculously low serial Recto you are talking about was owned by our friend Todd, who may be along to post about it soon enough. It is #5, and I want to say it was a C revision. It sounded like a SLO with more bottom end, and is absolutely the best lead amp I have ever recorded with.

·
Disposable Hero
266 Posts
Yeah, no Revision A or B, those we're prototypes only. R0001 was a Revision C. Some major label artists had early renditions to test on tour prior to production, and it's speculated those we're also C's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts