Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the situation. I have a four space rack sitting on top of a Marshall 1960A cabinet. It's a 14 inch deep rack and fits just so on top of the cab, which is great even though the TriAxis sticks out the back a little bit. I'm not sure I'd like anything taller sitting on there.

So, I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons getting a 5u rack and installing my Furman into there, or getting a high quality power strip from someone like Furman or Tripplite and just plugging everything into that and letting it sit on the floor. My G-Major, TriAxis, 50/50, and pedalboard would plug into it...

Pros? Cons? I'm having trouble seeing any problem with the power strip approach.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A Furman power strip will functionally be the same as the rack format ime
Yeah, it's just less "integrated".

If I had your setup I'd get a 6U rack case, put the power in it and add a rack tuner or a rack drawer at the bottom. Both are super handy.
I'm not sure what I think about something that tall sitting on my cab. It's probably fine, but it just seems excessive. Besides, I have a Korg Pitchblack that I like a lot.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
At the $150-200 price point, which is generally agreed upon as the lowest price point at which you are getting a low end budget "power conditioner" and not a glorified rack mounted power strip, the ART ones are superior to the Furman ones IMO.

I've had two of the Furman ones. PL-8c. Sold both, on account of not needing them at the time, not because I was dissatisfied. I have the ART one now. Same price. $180-200ish new. The ART one has a cool display up front too.

So I would go for the ART over the Furman, unless you can get a Furman used by Dave Mustaine.

Granted, I have no complaints with the Furmans, I had two PL-8Cs I bought after originally being recommended the model by Crooks. They both perform and sound the same.

But the display does make me feel smarter. So I would definitely go for one with a display.

In all honesty, half the time I don't even use it. I had expensive shit I should be plugging into it, but it's on the other end of the room, so I just plug it into a power strip.

But generally, it's sort of agreed upon that it's a thing you should own. An adult "insurance" kind of utility item. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it kind of thing.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Unless you are running something fucking serious, there is no need to go for something over $200. The more expensive ones are only necessary for super intensive live sound and studio applications.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you answered a totally different question :lol:

I’ve never run truly conditioned power in my rig...and probably won’t start now. Maybe when there’s nothing else I’d rather throw money at.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Come on dude. Buy nice or buy twice.

Why would you buy one of the $70 Furmans that is just a glorified power strip when you could buy one of the $200 and never have to worry about shit again? Just get the PL-8c or the ART at the equivalent price point.

The rack mount power strips at the $70 price point are way more of a waste of money than the low end well regarded conditioners. Same thing as a $15 power strip from walmart.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I bought the furman power bar and I ran a lot of stuff into it (2 amps, FX8, phone charger) in dingey basements with no power issues for a while.

If you can get the bar, it'll do fine. Just make sure it's a good one.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Come on dude. Buy nice or buy twice.

Why would you buy one of the $70 Furmans that is just a glorified power strip when you could buy one of the $200 and never have to worry about shit again? Just get the PL-8c or the ART at the equivalent price point.

The rack mount power strips at the $70 price point are way more of a waste of money than the low end well regarded conditioners. Same thing as a $15 power strip from walmart.
I'm busy, on a budget, and dealing with one decision at a time. I'm not buying anything today, so relax. :smoking:

I bought the furman power bar and I ran a lot of stuff into it (2 amps, FX8, phone charger) in dingey basements with no power issues for a while.

If you can get the bar, it'll do fine. Just make sure it's a good one.
I've had the glorified power strip rack model for a long time and haven't had any issues either. A little noise here and there but meh. I'm not exactly hitting the road these days.

Was there a reason why you chose the power strip model over the rack model? There's a model I'm looking at that has a long as hell power cable, which means I wouldn't need the extension cable I currently use. It would also maybe be less awkward to plug in my pedalboard's powersupply into the power strip versus feeding it all the way up to the rack.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
So you answered a totally different question :lol:

I've never run truly conditioned power in my rig...and probably won't start now. Maybe when there's nothing else I'd rather throw money at.
Would you buy a ferrari and then put 85 octane in it? $200 to protect $3000 worth of rack gear is a no brainer man.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would you buy a ferrari and then put 85 octane in it? $200 to protect $3000 worth of rack gear is a no brainer man.
I'm aware, really I am, but I have to plan and budget everything and guitar stuff is far from the only concern in my household right now. I'm off-put by huge wall of text posts about questions I didn't even ask, so I dismissed it. (And this $3,000 worth of gear was acquired over a long time. I've had some things since I was a teenager...)

I'm aware of how power works, and aware of what things cost, and not really sure that's what I care about right this minute. :)

Anyway. I might end up compromising with a 5U rack. I wanted to get one made (probably from Casesmith Customs). 5U isn't that much bigger. I think what I'm worried the most about is a 14.5" depth (to protect the TriAxis) overhanging the cabinet an unseemly amount. I've got some competing concerns I guess.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
This is MG though, wall of text obvious points is what we do. You know this. It's always been this way.

More lights in your rig = more tone. Get a custom rack made that has a built in dolphin tank. It's the only solution.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:lol:

I'll see what Casesmith can do regarding dolphin tanks. I've heard of spring reverb, but I'll bet dolphin reverb is heavenly.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I had a six space rack that I used live for years, and it sat on top of the cab just fine. That said, you already have the 4 space, just get a furman or triplite floor unit and be done with it :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.