Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet again. Having trouble. I cannot for the love of god seem to get a decent tone from my PodX3 if I'm trying to record through usb. If anyone has one they could give me just so I can lay a track or two demo down for the other band I'm in, PM me. Or, if you have any tips for tones, greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Also, the USB audio interface on the PODxt is not terribly good-quality. I'd use it only as a last resort... I use a soundcard that has 1/4" ins for my POD recordings.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Also, the USB audio interface on the PODxt is not terribly good-quality. I'd use it only as a last resort... I use a soundcard that has 1/4" ins for my POD recordings.
That's not very good advice. What's wrong with the USB interface? Why is it not terribly good quality?

By connecting through USB and using the PODxt as the audio interface, your processed guitar signal goes DIRECTLY into your sequencer. The POD will act as the sound device, so you will be able to hear whatever your sequencer outputs (your backing track, the metronome, etc.) through the POD, mixed with your own signal and thereby giving you direct monitoring.

On the other hand, if you use your computer's sound card, you are setting yourself up for issues like significant latency, and you will most likely end up draining your tone due to the additional D/A and A/D signal conversion.

This is how it is set up:

Code:
[Guitar]
   |
   |
[PodXT]------USB------[Computer]
   |
   |
[Speakers/Headphones]

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Yet again. Having trouble. I cannot for the love of god seem to get a decent tone from my PodX3
That's because Line6 sucks. :fawk:

Sorry, it was just too easy. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
It was a joke, dude. :lol:

FWIW, this is what Division uses to demo stuff up. It absolutely smokes a Pod, is dirt cheap on E-bay, and has already fooled plenty of people into thinking it is a miced amp. Drew actually asked us about amp settings and mic placement:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That's not very good advice. What's wrong with the USB interface? Why is it not terribly good quality?

By connecting through USB and using the PODxt as the audio interface, your processed guitar signal goes DIRECTLY into your sequencer. The POD will act as the sound device, so you will be able to hear whatever your sequencer outputs (your backing track, the metronome, etc.) through the POD, mixed with your own signal and thereby giving you direct monitoring.

On the other hand, if you use your computer's sound card, you are setting yourself up for issues like significant latency, and you will most likely end up draining your tone due to the additional D/A and A/D signal conversion.

This is how it is set up:

Code:
[Guitar]
   |
   |
[PodXT]------USB------[Computer]
   |
   |
[Speakers/Headphones]
Believe me, I know that that's what should happen. I'm actually regurgitating something someone else with better 'recording fu' than me told me on ss.org somewhere. I can't rememeber who it was.

I also had noticed a sound difference between USB and 1/4" out, and I liked the sound of 1/4" more. :shrug:

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
I'm with Thomas here, I haven't had much trouble with the X3's USB. I might try the 1/4" outs with my Firepod to compare now, though. :shrug: I've found a lot of getting a good tone has to do with settings. Careful with the highs (especially with a boost in the stomp section), the drive, and the noise gate... all can easily strangle/buzz things up when overdone. Bass can warm things up, just be sure to notch the bottom of it out in post or your bass player will cut off your junk in your sleep... and don't rely too much on the internal compressor. Leave the tone to breathe, layer, then compress after you get things recorded down. Those are my suggestions of the top of my head. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.