Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i've narrowed down my choices after lots of agonizing. i'm between a Mesa DC-5, a VHT Deliverance 60, and a VHT Pittbull CL (w/ reverb but no EQ).

the DC-5 is an option because i have heard great things about them here and i've played a DC-10 2x12 combo. very versatile amp. nice cleans, crazy tight gain, cool stuff like a loop and GEQ, and one LOUD mf'er!

the D60 i haven't been able to play, but praise from here, clips i've heard, and stuff recorded w/ one (well, a D120 iirc on Unearth's The March) sound amazing. i know Steve's stuff is top notch quality, too. i like that it can go from clean to full on death metal in one channel with lots of cool tones in between. but that is also one of only 2 downsides i see w/ this amp - only one channel and no loop.

which brings me to the Pittbull CL. EL34's vs the KT88's in the D60 (don't know how much less low end thump it would have vs the D60). but it also has another channel, a loop, and this one has no EQ but it does have reverb. all the bells and whistles the D60 doesn't have. and this one is about $200 more than the D60.

i have a Mesa 4x12 recto cab w/ 70watt V30's that the amp will run through. i play classic rock, 80's metal, modern metal, some blues, and some clean.

basically, if i could get some opinions on the amps or what you guys would do if the choice was yours, i'd appreciate it. :metal:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Given what you're going to be playing, I'd say go for the CL. Yeah, you'll lose a bit of low-end thump with the EL34's, but hey, that's what bassists are for :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'd go DC. Cheaper than both, very versatile, and not so painfully, nails-on-a-chalkboard dry.

Reactions: phatfil

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ooohh,.... just found out the CL doesn't come w/ a footswitch. i looked all over the bay and such. none out there used and a new one is $146.25 on Steve's site. :(

so, in effect $350 more than the D60.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I'm never going to steer anyone away from a mesa Dual Caliber amplifier. If you can get your hands on a DC-5, by all means do it. After a year of owning it you'll still be very happy with your tone, and I can't say the same of every amplifier.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I'm never going to steer anyone away from a mesa Dual Caliber amplifier. If you can get your hands on a DC-5, by all means do it. After a year of owning it you'll still be very happy with your tone, and I can't say the same of every amplifier.
:agreed:

I don't think I've ever owned an amp this long! :rofl: The Deliverance is neat, but strikes me as such a one-trick pony. The DC-5 is almost a 3-channel amp, when you factor in the GEQ. The only amp I could replace it with would be a Mark V or Roadster.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
What actually will you be using them for?

Because I've tried a D60 and own a CL100 EQ (which has a 50W option, as they all do: you'll lose a tiny bit of low end thunk compared to the 100)

Example of it in action:

Apotheosis by MDV on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

The intros a bit sloppy and not too well balanced in general; you wanna skip in a little, or go near the end...or listen to the whole thing, unless it offends your ears of course.

I've also played the D60, through the same ubercab. I'll warn you, just in case, that the D60 farted out in the low end on a drop B guitar...dont remember what I was doing with the settings at the time, or where the bass was, just that it happened. The CL, however, does not. The 100, at least, is utterly crushing, if you want it to be, and only becomes less that absurdly tight at extreme low and depth settings: you've got to crank the dial, the graphic 100 and 200 and the depth for the lows to start muddying.

My only problem with it is its hard to mic. Not impossible by a long shot though.

But beyond that is there anything more specific I might help you with about the sounds/capabilites of each?

Edit: no, I have 2 problems with the CL: hard to mic and it made me want a UL.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^ nope that answers my questions. i think i'll go w/ the DC-5. at about half the price of the Pittbull, while i would love to own a VHT, the DC-5 gets the nod.

and that clip kicks serious ass! :metal:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i guess one last question. more concerning VHT's w/ a Mesa Recto 4x12. i've heard that VHT's are only really at their best w/ P50E's. is that the experience of VHT/Fryette users here?

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Glad to be of help. And thanks, about the track :)

Never used my CL with P50-Es. It utterly destroys in my ubercab, V30s, T75s, and did the same when I had swamp thangs in the T75s place.

I would guess that you'd get on just fine in with a CL through a recto cab. I dont see a problem.

Edit: I've never played a DC5, though. I'm only even dimly aware of their existance (fo shame) so I cant comment at all on that, but the CL doesnt *need* p50es to be an absolutely amazing amp, by a long shot. Maybe its better with them, dont know, but need? Not a chance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm sure i would like the CL, but having to buy the pedal too at $150 pushed me out of the comfortable range. does bug me that this particular one doesn't have the GEQ either. i mean, it's got reverb and i'm sure it's top notch, but i'd prefer the GEQ.

i think the DC-5 and the Recto cab will be a good pair.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I'd guess they would be.

Fwiw, the CL sounds great without the EQ, but I'm not sure I'd use or swear by it half as much without it.

Actually, no, I'd put my MXR 10 band in its loop.

Actually I might anyway. Why have I not some this?

Anywho, yes, its not as good an amp without it by a fair stretch.

Again, cant possibly comment on the DC, just saying about what I'm familiar with.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
well, i guess one last question. more concerning VHT's w/ a Mesa Recto 4x12. i've heard that VHT's are only really at their best w/ P50E's. is that the experience of VHT/Fryette users here?
Cabs and speakers are to individual tastes yo :yesway:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Cabs and speakers are to individual tastes yo :yesway:
As is 100% of the things discussed on this forum :lol:

Well... 99.9%. Christina Hendricks is hot. That's science.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts