Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking into switching out the 6L6's on my knucklehead reverb.

I like EL34's, but I'm also searching for a tube that will give some
extra low end and low mids punch, I also want to get rid of the rivera's
harsh\brittle highs and buzz.

I talked to eurotubes and talked to doug'stubes and they both
gave me completely different recommendations:

Eurotubes:

Option A:
a matched set of the JJ E34L's and five of the JJ ECC83S preamp tubes.

Option B:
Same thing but with kt77's.

Doug'stubes:

RUBY EL34BSTR's and for the 5 x 12AX7's do a Tung-
> Sol in V1,
> Ruby HG+ in V2, a regular Ruby AC5 select($11.50) in V3, and
> Sovtek LPS in
> V4 and V5.

Samples of the tome I'm aiming for:

Your opinion?

Thanks,
trippled.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I'd go with Doug's recommendation. I like Eurotubes for their biasing videos and stuff, but the dude ONLY pushes JJ's. I will never use another JJ tube in any of my gear since they just aren't reliable enough for me.

I don't know if JJ pays him to push those tubes or what. Other than that, I really like the website. I just wished the dude offered something else besides JJ's.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's ironic when it comes from a guy with your user name lol

The thing is I actually read the tung sol has as bright tone actually,
and thats the last thing I'd want for my amp.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
i had both versions (powertubes) in my amp already - the JJ E34L and also the Ruby B-STRs.

soundwise - the JJ E34L really NAILS what you are describing. The B-STRs were the first tubes i had in my amp, switching then to the JJ E34L provided a much bigger low-mid-growl, and low-end-"ooomph". also a lot of high-end/treble just disappeareed, the amp was VERY dark sounding. The B-STRs instead have imho a better overall sound. With the JJs i always had the impression that there is something "too much", the B-STRs were providing a more "rounder" spectrum...

The dark side on JJs: i never had a JJ tube lasting longer than 3 months - and that was the only pair that lasted that long. the others were 6-8 weeks, and the last pair i had made my fuses explode, after ~8 hours. You have to spend a LOT of money until you get a set of JJs lasting.

Dont get me wrong, these work well in amps as Peaveys and Mesas, as they are running fraking cold - but on any amp where you can actually really adjust the Bias - do yourself a favour and stay away from them!

For the JJ ECC803S: this was the most awful shit-sounding preamp tube i EVER tried. good lord, was that awful. not only werwe 3 of 4 microphonic out of the box, the sound was a muddy mess. definitely DO NOT WANT!

Something different: Have you listened to the songs you posted on the original record on a good sound system? You will notice that they actually have a not-so dark guitar sound at all, instead there acutally IS a lot of high-end and treble in the gutiars, its just on both the overall mix which sounds "low".

But, if your amp takes 6L6/EL34/KT77...does it take 6550? i think it does. I am currently running SED Winged C 6550, and have never been happier. These have an awesome low-end, a very very DEEP low-end, but still tight and controllable! The highs and presence are there when you need them, but it doesnt get harsh, as with the EL34s i used. Some say they are a bit "hi-fi" sounding, and i can see where that comes from - but to me it fits my taste.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Quite possibly a dumb question, but have you cranked up your amp?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I don't know if JJ pays him to push those tubes or what.
:scratch: Isn't he just a JJ importer and dealer? I don't think he's paid by JJ to sell them, as much as he imports them to resell them himself. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Tubes can change the nuances of your tone, but I don't think they will radically alter your amp's voicings.

High gain amps can and will often sound fizzy and trebly at low volumes.

I've also had pretty good experience with JJ tubes, but that mainly involves EL84s so it's not relevant to the discussion at hand. I also took the Tung-Sol out of V1 in my amp as it was just too much saturation... but I'm not going for uber metal tone either.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
The E34L will get the sound you're after. I've used the JJ ones before and they are nice tubes, just dark like all JJ tubes tend to be. I have no experience with the Rubys.

E34Ls have the same tonal qualities of an EL34, they just have a deeper low-end.

I have little to say about the preamp tube recommendations besides the fact that a Tung-Sol in V1 = good stuff.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I played it on modern mode on about 3-3.5 on most of our rehersals,
so.. yeah.
That's not cranked, 6 is more in the "most of the way to cranked" realm lol. It might be loud, but loud doesn't necessarily mean the amp is in it's sweet spot

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, playing on 4 isnt realistic in a rehersal for me, should I use the fx loop as a power
attenuator on rehersals too...?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know right? :lol:

I REALLY wanted these tubes to work out for me, it would be like my signature tube :lol: But alas, they always shit the bed on me.
Another thing to ask is where you buy your JJ's?
Have you bought them from a place like eurotubes?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I bought once from Joe Bodenheimer (spelling?), twice from thetubestore.com, and I inherited some tubes in an amp.

This all led me to believe that my Framus Dragon was fucked. I replaced all the JJ's with Tung Sol and I didn't have any problems until the day I sold it. This is pre AND power amp tubes.

The shitty thing is is that I really did dig the KT77's... they sounded great, until they shit the bed within a couple months.

They seem to work well in Mesa's and Peavey's though, probably due to the colder bias that these amps come with stock, at least that's the theory I've heard others toss around.

Oh, and Coop had a JJ KT88 shit the bed in his UL shortly after he got it.

I'm not biasing super hot or anything, I'm doing a standard 65-70% bias :shrug: I'm also not the only one to experience a high failure rate. According to someone, I forget who, Diezel was going to start using them stock in his amps, but he had a 30% failure rate, which sounds about right by my experience with them. Some other end users have complained too, but I can't pick names off the top of my head right now.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
6 on a Dual Rect. like yours is way louder than you'll ever need :lol: I think Matt sat at round 5 and even that was too loud for most stages.
Oh I know its too loud, but if that's where the tone starts to sound "right", then he should be looking at a different amp..no?

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
According to someone, I forget who,
that was me. :lol:

Diezel was going to start using them stock in his amps, but he had a 30% failure rate, which sounds about right by my experience with them. Some other end users have complained too, but I can't pick names off the top of my head right now.
yeah, Peter diezel said "30% bad right out of the box, and another 30% claims within the warranty in the first 3 months".

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Oh I know its too loud, but if that's where the tone starts to sound "right", then he should be looking at a different amp..no?
Fuck that shit. The audience is just a bunch of pansies that doesn't appreciate true brutality at a proper volume. :metal:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Fuck that shit. The audience is just a bunch of pansies that doesn't appreciate true brutality at a proper volume. :metal:
:agreed:

I'd love to rock the roadster with the channel volume above 4 and the master past 5.. it sounds huge.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok.. and back to the subject lol.

Anyone here ordered JJ's from eurotubes?

I'm really getting alot of recommendations for E34L's and I'm abit afraid
they'll fail after 3 months or so.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts