Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been using Netflix since late 2012, and it has had the same issue that they have NEVER solved since day one. If you watch something, even if you've watched every single episode, oftentimes as a bug, it will stay in your "Continue Watching" list. I normally can get rid of it by going to the very last episode and skipping to the part a few seconds before Netflix registers it as finished (whether that's right as the credits roll or right as the credits end). That, however, does not work every time, and over the past 8 years, I have had some times where I would load Netflix, skip to the end of the last episode of a show that won't disappear from "Continue Watching," close Netflix, then reopen it to find it still in "Continue Watching" and after repeating this process 4 or 5 times, it still doesn't disappear. This has been the exception, though, and normally this method works in removing things from Netflix. In those cases, I oftentimes just had no choice but to let them stay in my "Continue Watching" list for 2-4 months before they eventually just naturally disappeared.

When I opened Netflix today, though, 2 shows that I watched over 4 years ago (in 2016) were in my "Continue Watching" list even though no new episodes had been added and I had not watched them in over 4 years (and both had Season 1 Episode 1 as the episode to watch). I was able to get the second show to vanish after 2 tries, but the first show would not vanish even after 5 tries. And after trying multiple more tries, Dark suddenly got re-added to "Continue Watching," even though I finished watching the final season 2 months ago. I searched online and found a very convoluted way to remove shows from "Continue Watching," recommendations, and everything via the view history under Profile on the web version. This, however, did not work. It said it would remove the show, but it was still there. And not only that, but another show I had watched years ago had been added to my "Continue Watching" list.

Lastly, I opened the Netflix app on my iPhone. The iPhone version of the Netflix app has a "..." icon next to each show in "Continue Watching." Clicking on it shows several options, one of which is "Remove from row." Clicking this removed the series instantly from "Continue Watching." I used this to remove the 4 unwanted shows that had been recently added to "Continue Watching" in the span of 2-3 seconds.

What really annoys me is that this extremely useful feature that I have wanted since 2012 is not available on the PC/Mac web browser version of Netflix or the PS4 version of Netflix, and as far as I can tell, is only available on the smartphone version of the app (I'm assuming it's also on the Android version, though I only checked the iOS/iPhone version).

I do know that this was not in the app last year because I used to watch Netflix shows while I jogged at the gym up until March 2019, and I'm 100% sure this function was not available at that time. Hopefully it'll be added to all the other versions of Netflix too, but until it is, I'll now know to just use the iPhone app whenever I need to remove something from "Continue Watching." I'm sure there are people out there who would like this info since I've wanted the feature since I first started using Netflix.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Seems strange to have more functionality on a mobile platform than a PC :lol:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Trump is our President, social angst at an all time high.....Netflix won't stop showing finished programs in the continue watching cue. :lol:

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
I'm fairly certain this feature has been available for years and via web browser as well, though I won't deny it's not the easiest option to find. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm fairly certain this feature has been available for years and via web browser as well, though I won't deny it's not the easiest option to find. :lol:
Apparently the "Remove from row" option on the smartphone apps was added within the last year or so, and as far as I can tell, that is the only place it is available. I searched online and could find no websites that had any location for it on the web browser (with the convoluted method under "view history" under Profile having been added earlier in 2020), so if you can find it on the web browser (or the PS4 app, which is how I mainly watch Netflix - PS4 into very nice TV), please let me know. While removing shows via the iPhone app is WAY WAY easier than how I've been doing things so far, it'd be a lot more convenient if I could do it via the PS4 app or the web browser too.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Lol I have been using netflix as long and have never experienced this. which country did you sign up in? maybe it s bug with that countries version of netflix.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol I have been using netflix as long and have never experienced this. which country did you sign up in? maybe it s bug with that countries version of netflix.
USA. And yes, it is a VERY common problem in the US's version of Netflix (though I think it's common in all versions around the world). Whenever I've done a search for this issue, there are usually 4-6 million hits. :lol:

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
I think the way I was able to get rid of things was via a menu called 'viewing activity' which shows you most recently watched content, so while this does enable you to remove things from your 'continue watching' bar. But I guess it still makes things a pain in the arse if theres stuff showing up that's years old as you'd have to cycle through it a fair bit.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the way I was able to get rid of things was via a menu called 'viewing activity' which shows you most recently watched content, so while this does enable you to remove things from your 'continue watching' bar. But I guess it still makes things a pain in the arse if theres stuff showing up that's years old as you'd have to cycle through it a fair bit.
Yeah, that's the page I was referring to for the convoluted method (I wrote "view history," but yeah, I think it's something more like "viewing activity" buried under quite a few menus in the Profile, Account, etc. area, which is only available on the web browser version). On that page, though, it lists every single episode that you've watched for a show. It does have the option to "Remove series." It's supposed to remove the history of you ever having watched it, so it removes it from "continue watching," "watch it again," and all various recommendations based on what you've seen. That didn't actually work when I tried it, but I imagine it normally works (and maybe didn't work for me because of the bugs that were causing shows I watched 4 years ago to suddenly appear in my "Continue Watching" list again). I'm kind of glad it didn't work, though, because I wouldn't have kept trying to find a solution and would have used that as my solution instead of finding the much easier method of "remove from row" via the iPhone app.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah right, well... I think we can all agree that the Netflix menus suck anus. :lol:
That we can. :lol:

And despite how annoying issues like this are, Netflix's layout and page design are still 10,000x better than Amazon Prime Video or Hulu. :lol: I mean, I've tried 6 different streaming services over the past decade (3 of them regularly), and Netflix is my favorite. But despite all the cool features and great things the service has, it's always blown my mind that they've had this specific bug from the beginning but haven't had any simple solutions for it (even now, the smartphone version of the app is the only one with what I'd call a simple solution).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts