Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else tried this? I have sinus infections pretty regularly and am stuffed up alot. My mom bought me one and made me try it(i'm currently in a sinus infection) and i was hesitant at first.
Pouring saltwater up my nose didnt seem to sound like fun, but I did it anyway.
The first time was a very odd sensation. I didnt like it at all. I was so stuffed up i didnt really get much flow from one side to the other, but later last night i tryed again and got better results.
I just did it again a few minutes ago and its feeling less and less weird each time, and seems to be helping.

I thought my mom was just a voodoo witch doctor so i googled the neti pot, and apperently nasel irrigation(the proper term) is recommended by doctors and has been in use for hundreds of years.

Anyway, i'm just curious if any of you have tried it and what you think.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
If you knew me 10 years ago, you would have thought that I had the worst allergies of any person you've ever known.

For some reason, they have magically disappeared. I quit using my nasal spray (Rhinocort) about 6 months ago, and I am still fine.

I have tried some nasal irrigation techniques, and they never really worked for me. At one point I was so bad I was taking Singulair, Clarinex, and Flonase all at the same time.

So naturally I am down for any homeopathic technique that works. Luckily for some reason I don't have to do anything anymore.

They say that severe allergies can be a by-product of an overactive immune system. I know that some people tout drinking aloe vera juice, although I only tried this once about 8 years ago to no avail.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I use the Ayr sinus rinse. It's basically a plastic bottle that lets you squirt salt water up your nose. I started using it after my wife's ENT suggested she use one after her sinus surgery. It's very effective at limiting the number and severity of sinus infections you get. As soon as you feel the twinge of a sinus infection, do the rinse 3-4x a day and you can pretty much avoid getting sick.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Has anyone else tried this? I have sinus infections pretty regularly and am stuffed up alot. My mom bought me one and made me try it(i'm currently in a sinus infection) and i was hesitant at first.
Pouring saltwater up my nose didnt seem to sound like fun, but I did it anyway.
The first time was a very odd sensation. I didnt like it at all. I was so stuffed up i didnt really get much flow from one side to the other, but later last night i tryed again and got better results.
I just did it again a few minutes ago and its feeling less and less weird each time, and seems to be helping.

I thought my mom was just a voodoo witch doctor so i googled the neti pot, and apperently nasel irrigation(the proper term) is recommended by doctors and has been in use for hundreds of years.

Anyway, i'm just curious if any of you have tried it and what you think.
My wife had to use it because she was sick when she was pregnant with my son, and couldn't take any meds for it. It worked pretty well, though she wasn't a fan of the method. :D

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I use it montly to get rid of the pollution from LA when I ride my motorcycle. Initially it's hard because you've gotta overcome the innate fear of almost drowning to do it but once you do it omg it's soo soothing and gets your sinuses really clean.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
I spray both my children's nose everyday with that stuff. It's highly recommended since at a very young age, they don't have much hair inside their nose so they can't "block" germs. Everyone I know does this to their kids, as every doctor strongly recommend it. If it works for kids, it works for grown ups as well. It's pretty good in preventing flu as well.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
ISo naturally I am down for any homeopathic technique that works. Luckily for some reason I don't have to do anything anymore.
Technically speaking, NO homeopathic cures work. I think you mean something along the lines of natural cures, since homeopathy is some bunk science made up in the 1700s.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Technically speaking, NO homeopathic cures work. I think you mean something along the lines of natural cures, since homeopathy is some bunk science made up in the 1700s.
True, but it does remain, for some reason, the term applied to anything that hasn't been cleared by the FDA to have a specific medical benefit.

That being said, this sounds interesting. Have you guys read about those zinc gluconate nasal sprays that made a bunch of people permanently lose their sense of smell after use?

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use it montly to get rid of the pollution from LA when I ride my motorcycle. Initially it's hard because you've gotta overcome the innate fear of almost drowning to do it but once you do it omg it's soo soothing and gets your sinuses really clean.
Thats kind of the feeling i had too. Its really similar to diving into a pool and turning upside down and getting water in your nose. Its strange and uncomfortable at first, but then its actually not bad at all after a while

1 - 10 of 10 Posts