Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 687 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Neural DSP's all-new Quad Cortex is the Helsinki-based company's first step into the hardware scene, and uses machine learning techniques to power the tech company's unique modelling methods.

https://guitar.com/news/neural-dsp-quad-cortex-modeller-multi-effects-namm-2020/

I was waiting for the super late Fractal thing but its taking them so damn long that this become super interesting as well.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,694 Posts
Man, I wish more companies put metal bars above their screens so the clunkier of us don't ruin our expensive gadgets :lol:.

If it delivers effects shaping like the helix and FX8, it will do decently I bet. If it's rigid enough to stand up to heavy use, it will do even better.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I gotta admit that I really like the Neural DSP Plugins so I am a bit interested in this. It will probably be too expensive compared to an Axe fx or Kemper.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I hope it's around the same price as the HX Stomp... much more and it's on my "Care Less" List

·
Is Actually Recording
32,764 Posts
I gotta admit that I really like the Neural DSP Plugins so I am a bit interested in this. It will probably be too expensive compared to an Axe fx or Kemper.
Isn't Engage with these guys? It probably will, although I'm sure they have a certificate of authenticity and photographic evidence to demonstrate that the neural network they use was one from Albert Einstein's own brain, just it's in their mom's safe deposit box and it'll be a while before they can get it.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Not awful considering the competition but I'm still in the camp of not spending over $1000 on anything I put on the floor and step on.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,235 Posts
Why do I need The Terminator's brain in my guitar rig? All this high tech shit to replace stuff that's worked for, what, nearly a century? And produced all the sounds these things are trying to replicate.... Now we've got fucking buzzwords like "neural network" being thrown into the mix. I can't wait till I can synergize my machine learning AI cloud guitar user experience to achieve optimized results.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Isn't Engage with these guys? It probably will, although I'm sure they have a certificate of authenticity and photographic evidence to demonstrate that the neural network they use was one from Albert Einstein's own brain, just it's in their mom's safe deposit box and it'll be a while before they can get it.
We already had several threads on this. :lol: Neural as a company that is.

This is apparently the AI they are developing that will revolutionize guitar.

It takes like, 30 seconds of scrolling into their page before they start to tout none too impressive features with hyperbolic and questionably accurate phrases. That's not even getting into the stuff like claiming it's powerful enough to run "four rigs at once", even though four year old smartphones also have that level or processing power.

"CORNING (TM)" Glass? Of CORNINGWARE fame? Holy shit. That's the cookware your mom makes casserroles in. Serious business. Can I get a deluxe Pyrex model? The strength of basic kitchenware is really something I demand in all my guitar gear.

Technically you could make the argument that you could call them "actuators", because they are endless rotation pots. But 99% of people who read that who know what an actuator is would interpret that to mean the pots are actually motorized, which I doubt. You could make the case you could call any pot an actuator, but it's a very shaky case. :lol:

There's also a reason companies don't do combination footswitch/rotary in one piece, because it breaks easily and is an absolute bitch to replace. Which I'm sure Neural will discover within several months of these being available for purchase. Keeping them separate is more robust and easier to fix. But hey, Neural claims they are "proprietary" and "unbreakable", so there is that.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Hands down the piece of Neural ad-speak that takes the cake is the spots where they repeatedly refer to the case as a "unibody". Because "case" and even the more pretenious "chassis" were too unpretentious.

Even if you don't know what unibody means, or can't suss it out from context and prefixes, that's just classic Neural.

Touting the case as a unibody, a term that literally means "one contiguous piece" when the graphic directly to the right shows it is definitely two pieces is the most Neural thing ever.

I think neural really outdid themselves here. That's the first unibody design I've seen that consists of multiple pieces held together by screws. Bravo Neural.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,235 Posts
:wub:

"Actuator" ....it's a fucking rotary encoder used in everything with a digital potentiometer... and it's integrated into a foot switch? WTF Why????????

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
:wub:

"Actuator" ....it's a fucking rotary encoder used in everything with a digital potentiometer... and it's integrated into a foot switch? WTF Why????????
That's Neurals schtick. :lol: The people who write the descriptions for their products have no idea what half the words they use mean and they just hope you won't either. They also try to work in a bunch of luxury car terms that end up being blatantly incorrect.

They're totally shameless about it, if you ask Neural what "MIDI" means they will probably act all nervous and be like, "That's our proprietary Massively Indulgent Discerning Intelligence tonal AI generation technology."

They're super bold too. They just expect they can use terms like "advanced mechanical design and manufacturing techniques" to describe the process of fitting something less powerful than your smartphone into a case the size of a cinderblock and not expect anyone to call BS.

Also, these don't actually release until Sept 2020, because, surprise surprise, they lease everything out to third parties. But you know, Neural is so far ahead of the game, that their unit that isn't even cutting edge now will somehow be the most cutting edge thing 7-8 months from now.

They're really more of a lifestyle company than a tech company.

They definitely have confidence in their product though. They are the only company I know who routinely touts stuff a quick google can disprove in five seconds. All you have to do is highlight the "SHARC processor" in their ad speak to learn that the chip that is supposed to be the most cutting edge thing ever in the era of the Axe-FX III happens to be the same ones used in the Axe-FX II. But hey, this Neural unit doesn't ship until Sept 2020, so if anyone wants to preorder outdated tech, go for it.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,235 Posts

That's Neurals schtick.
The people who write the descriptions for their products have no idea what half the words they use mean and they just hope you won't either. They also try to work in a bunch of luxury car terms that end up being blatantly incorrect.

They're totally shameless about it, if you ask Neural what "MIDI" means they will probably act all nervous and be like, "That's our proprietary Massively Indulgent Discerning Intelligence tonal AI generation technology."

They're super bold too. They just expect they can use terms like "advanced mechanical design and manufacturing techniques" to describe the process of fitting something less powerful than your smartphone into a case the size of a cinderblock and not expect anyone to call BS.

Also, these don't actually release until Sept 2020, because, surprise surprise, they lease everything out to third parties. But you know, Neural is so far ahead of the game, that their unit that isn't even cutting edge now will somehow be the most cutting edge thing 7-8 months from now.

They're really more of a lifestyle company than a tech company.

They definitely have confidence in their product though. They are the only company I know who routinely touts stuff a quick google can disprove in five seconds. All you have to do is highlight the "SHARC processor" in their ad speak to learn that the chip that is supposed to be the most cutting edge thing ever in the era of the Axe-FX III happens to be the same ones used in the Axe-FX II. But hey, this Neural unit doesn't ship until Sept 2020, so if anyone wants to preorder outdated tech, go for it.
I have room in my life for one company with over the top marketing, and that's Apple.

·
I Am The Tweaker
490 Posts
Not awful considering the competition but I'm still in the camp of not spending over $1000 on anything I put on the floor and step on.
Same here. I got a Mooer Preamp Live last year and just recently picked up a Boss EQ-200 and it seems to do the trick quite nicely.

It's funny people mentioning 'questionable' things on their website because yesterday I posted a link to a mock up of the unit they had on their website and the 2 main inputs were XLR jacks. They've since changed it to the hybrid inputs where you can use either XLR or 1/4" that are supposed to be there but you'd think someone would have noticed it before putting it up.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Why do I need The Terminator's brain in my guitar rig? All this high tech shit to replace stuff that's worked for, what, nearly a century? And produced all the sounds these things are trying to replicate.... Now we've got fucking buzzwords like "neural network" being thrown into the mix. I can't wait till I can synergize my machine learning AI cloud guitar user experience to achieve optimized results.
Because it's easier to carry a small unit like this on the plane when gigging rather than lugging around stupid 100w heads.

I love these new solutions that puts everything you need in a little box.

But yeah, I also kind of cringe at Neurals extra-ordinarie catchphrases.
I'm sure they are written by some kind of Sheldon

·
Mutes the Meat
10,235 Posts
Because it's easier to carry a small unit like this on the plane when gigging rather than lugging around stupid 100w heads.

I love these new solutions that puts everything you need in a little box.

But yeah, I also kind of cringe at Neurals extra-ordinarie catchphrases.
I'm sure they are written by some kind of Sheldon
I get it. I think the marketing nonsense set me off. I work in software and have been getting increasingly tired of this kind of bullshit. Spades aren't spades anymore, spades are precision engineered earth removal devices designed by the worlds most advanced machine learning AI powered by a cloud based digital assistant that can send a notfication to your refridgerator that it's time to sharpen your spade with a precision engineered spade sharpening device designed by....

Like dude whatever 100 year old vacuum tube technology sounds better.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Trying to understand their pricing. So it's $200 to order then 1399 Euros, so it sounds like it's about $1780-ish total, plus shipping, plus tax. That's $780 more than the FM3 (if it ever ceases to be vaporware), and what, about $1100 or so more than the HX Stomp? Hope it's worth it for basically the same thing.

1 - 20 of 687 Posts